cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Secondary machined part from casting

MukaSingh
1-Newbie

Secondary machined part from casting

I have created a machined version from a casting part and I want to add an appearance to the machined part at the base feature and all other features that are added I want them to be a different color from the base part. The reason for this is I want all the secondary machined features to stand out so you can tell just by looking at the model which features are machined.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
Darrell
12-Amethyst
(To:MukaSingh)

I set all the surfaces to a new color, then all the machined features that remove material will show the color of the model before the new color was applied to the surfaces.

Hi Darrell

Thanks for the input. How do I select all the surfaces and not the entire part? I'm assuming I only need to select surfaces correct?

Darrell
12-Amethyst
(To:MukaSingh)

In WF4: View-Colors and Apperances. Select the color you want to apply to the surfaces. Under Assignment on the appearance box, select surfaces from the drop-down list. Select a surface and then right-click on it and select solid surfaces. This should select all surfaces on the model. Then select the OK button and apply the color. Now when you make a cut, the newly created surfaces will have the old solid color that's under the surfaces. Note that you can apply the color to the surfaces at any point in the model tree, so you can drag the insert here pointer up and apply before some of the features.

I'm using WF5 and I don't see aperances under View. I do have the apperance manager but I don't see assignment to filter for surfaces. I can do them one by one but I"m sure there is an easier way to select all the surfaces at the same time.

From the Quick Reference Card I picked up at the PTC User Conference; it says "To select all the surface patches of solid geometry in a model: 1.)Select a surface patch on solid geometry. 2.)right-click and select Solid Surfaces." I tried that and it seems to work here in WF5.

Hope this helps,

-Greg

You can use the search functionality (binoculars) to pick all the surfaces created by these "machined" cuts by using the feature numberd, the feature id's (more robust but more work), or the names of the features themselves if you named them. In other words, call all the machined features MACHINED_CUT_01, .....02, etc. I.E. search for feature by number, ID, name.

Top Tags