cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Sheet Metal - Creating Flat Patterns

StephenPatton
2-Guest

Sheet Metal - Creating Flat Patterns

Hi Guys,

I have a model of a cylinder which incorportates various flanges. The part was created using a revolved wall, cutting holes around the diameter and creating a flanged end on these holes.

In order to ensure the face of these flanges was flat I cut 5mm off the ends parallel to the hole plane.

When flatening out the sheet I want to obtain my punched hole positions and required size to produce these flanges. Currently the model fails when trying to create the flat pattern, ive tried other approaches too but none work.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Stephen,

Are you talking about a "pultruded" hole (like an eyelet before it's set)? If so, flat pattern is not equipped to handle this kind of geometry because it is not a result of simple bending with respect to a neutral surface controlled by the so-called y-factor. This kind of geometry is the result of a true deformation involving substantial stretching of material. Flat pattern can't handle this as a Pro/E feature, nor is there enough information in the part, such as ductility, to easily resolve this situation. You might want to consult appropriate engineering handbooks and formulae for your purposes, for example the formula for Diameters of Shell Blanks in the Press Work section of Machinery's Handbook, etc.

David

Top Tags