cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Sheet Metal Developed Length

DeanLong
10-Marble

Sheet Metal Developed Length

I am working a part with a twisted wall feature and I am curious about the Developed Length variable relative to the Twist Length variable.

Why does the system allow an essentially impossible Developed Length (DV)dimension when creating the feature? For example,I have a wall that is .100" long and I am twisting it about 15 degrees over that length. However, I can specify any value for (DV). The feature will somewhat "disregard" the DV until the flat pattern is created. If I specify a ridiculous value, say 10.0" for the DV while creating the twist, when the susbsequent Flat Pattern is created, my twisted wall stretches the 10.0".

How does this aide in creating parts with any confidence?

What value does the DV provide?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

The sheet metal module creates very accurate developed lengths for simple bends. However, depending on how much deformation is in an "exotic" bend, the value may be off. In other words, what Pro/E creates is not what works in real life. To account for this variation, the programaccounts for this by allowing you to input your own developed length. This means that the flat and formed part both in Pro/E and the real thing match.

Top Tags