cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Simplifying Detailed Sketches

DanielBrown
1-Newbie

Simplifying Detailed Sketches

A general question for you far more experienced ProE users. Many of the parts I have to model as part of my job include very complex pocketing for RF signal paths. The sketch is fairly easy to make, but by the time I'm half done dimensioning it, the lines I'm working on are pretty much hidden by all the leader lines for the dimensions I'm using to define the sketch. Is there a way in ProE to hide or suppress the dimensions in a sketch after you've locked them or something like that? Ideally, I would like to be able to dimension something, then have that dimension just go AWAY so I can see to place my next defining dimension. I've been partially working around the problem by breaking the pocketing up into small sections, but that makes a mess out of my model tree, where I'll have six or seven extrudes to make my pockets instead of one or two. Anything you could suggest would help!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Daniel, you should use simple sketches. There is a 7 by 7 rule, a sketch should have - up to 7 dimensions or - up to 7 elements and - should not take more than 7 minutes. Your models will be stable and ProE will be fast. You can group features in model tree but if one feature fails, the whole group will fail. Maybe a better way is to use annotation features to separate your pockets. Reinhard

Daniel, Reinhard is right; use simple sketches whenever possible, meaning almost always. Depending on the details of your geometry, there are other things you might keep in mind. For example, if you are trying to include corner radii in your sketches, you are probably better off adding that detail afterwards with rounds. If what you are doing is somewhat repetitive, you can also save your generic sketch, bring it in to a model, and change dimensions as necessary. Also, if you absolutely have to do it the way you are describing (which I doubt), you could drag your completed dimensions off to one side as you go, a bit awkward but doable. David

I could use more sketches, I'd been making the apparently incorrect guess that the model would run better with fewer sketches involved than more. If a larger number of simpler sketches is superior, I'll just start using that method then. Kind of a mess in the model tree, but probably managable. Thanks, guys!

To rephrase what David says: basically, Pro/E models are most robust (and easiest to modify later) if you build them with many, simple features. Many simple features are always better than fewer, complex ones.

Hi,

I am working on designing a mold/scaffold for tissue engineering meniscus. I have a 3D model of the knee meniscus form MRI images.Now I wanted to design the Mold in Pro/E. I have been following this tutorial on mold design: http://www.proengineertips.com/mold-design/tutorial-basic-mold-design-with-pro-mold-in-pro-e-pa.html

I am stuck in the 'Workpiece' part where I cannot see any units in the dropdown menu for Automatic workpiece. Does anyone have any answer for this problem? Thanks in advance. I am also uploading a screenshot of the 3D meniscus mold to show the shape and complexity.

Best Regards,

Zahid

I agree with the others that you should use more sketches and keep them all simple.

Aside from that, there is a toggle for displaying dimensions while in sketcher that you might try.

Good luck!

Top Tags