cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Sliding Object Help

ijwcomp
1-Newbie

Sliding Object Help

Hello,

I've been trying to get a sliding object to work correctly but can't seem to do it.

What I want:

A cylinder object with a ring.

http://sadpanda.us/images/1171777-CQ0ME06.png

The problem is that I can't/no idea how to define the rotation part of the slider.

Am I using the right assembly option?

I want it to be able to slide, but don't want it to be able to go through the square block.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Imanuel,

If you want ring to both slide on the shaft and rotate, you need to use Cylinder constraint type. Slider allows translation only, while Cylinder acts like Pin and Slider combined, allowing for simultaneous translation and rotation.

Also, if you want ring to stop at square block, then in Placement tab of Cylinder constraint you need to enable maximum or minimum limit for translation definition - that way you'll be able to define the range of ring movement and force it to stop at shaft length where block starts.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi Imanuel,

If you want ring to both slide on the shaft and rotate, you need to use Cylinder constraint type. Slider allows translation only, while Cylinder acts like Pin and Slider combined, allowing for simultaneous translation and rotation.

Also, if you want ring to stop at square block, then in Placement tab of Cylinder constraint you need to enable maximum or minimum limit for translation definition - that way you'll be able to define the range of ring movement and force it to stop at shaft length where block starts.

Top Tags