cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Solidify and sheetmetal

HamsterNL
18-Opal

Solidify and sheetmetal

When working with a sheetmetal part, solidify only gives the option to remove material, not to add material.

Is there perhaps a secret config option to allow the addition of material in a sheetmetal part?

The workaround for now is to start with a solid part, then use the solidify feature, then convert the solid part to a sheetmetal part.

4 REPLIES 4

Another way to get geometry into my existing sheetmetal part is by using Inheritance.

Inheritance does work in sheetmetal, but overlapping geometry can't be merged by the Merge Wall feature. So I first need to remove material if I have any overlapping geometry, then use a second inheritance feature to add material.

Another option is the following

1. Create a new part (sheetmetal)
  2. use Copy Geom to bring in a surface/quilt 
  3. Create Offset Wall type (Model > Editing > Offset)
    • Offset =0
    • Select direction to set thickness
    • Set wall thickness

Hi @slolli,

Thanks for your suggestion!

I have tried your method, but I am using the "All Solid Surfaces" with my Publish Geometry, and I can't create the Offset Wall Type in my part. There are some extremely great advantages for me to use the All Solid Surfaces option, I can't publish just one surface (to give you some more information, I am (un)supressing completely different geometry within my Publish Geometry part).

HamsterNL_0-1581155244357.png

Hi, the steps I gave as an option are under the assumption you are bringing in a surface quilt that has no thickness.  For example, if you had a complex contour and you bring in only one side of surfaces. See below

Solid part looks like this, green highlighted surfaces is what I select with the Copy Geom.

slolli_0-1581346921626.png

I only selected certain surfaces (on one side) of the part so it is a zero volume quilt I am starting off with in the sheetmetal part

slolli_1-1581347122856.png

Alternately, if you do bring in all solid surfaces, you should be able to use the Special Handling area to remove surfaces that are considered for the Offset operation.

slolli_0-1581347496599.png

Top Tags