cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Spherical Part Development in Pro/Sheetmetal

johnsmith1
1-Newbie

Spherical Part Development in Pro/Sheetmetal

Hello Pro/Gurus,

I've got a part of hemisphrical type. You cancosider it a part of a ball which has been cut atit's center or at an offset from the center line.This is basically a dome roof of Storage Tank for storing oil/fluid products for petrochemical industry. I've to develop flat pattern of this part for fabrication shop. As far as I know, Pro/Sheetmetal doesn't have the capability to develop non-ruled surfaces or double curvature surfaces. Is it true? If not, then please suggest me a solution, as I'm really stuck with this issue. & if yes, then can you please suggest me some other software or some workaround in Pro/E to slove this issue. I'd prefer ifI could get a solution in Pro/E. I can send theimage file if you peopleneed to understand the issue.

Looking forward to your responses. I'll post a summary for the interest of others.

TIA,

John Smith.

Design Engineer.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi John,
One way to do non-ruled geometry, especially in your case where the geometry isn’t too complex, is to use a form feature in s/m mode. You basically create a punch or die (push vs. pull the material) as a separate part file in Pro/E. With a form feature you can create the exact shape you want, and then do a flatten feature to get the ‘flat state.’ One thing to keep in mind is that in sheet metal, Pro/e does not account for material stretching with any bending, forming or punching features. The two sides are always the same distance apart, so as you add those features to the part, the mass of the part will increase. That may not affect everyone, but it is something to be aware of.
Thinking about it, this technique is pretty easy for modeling, but maybe not the best for setting up your production or manufacturing of the part, especially if it is going to be a rather large piece that is done in segments and welded together. You may be able to accomplish the same thing by creating the finished part and dividing it up into segments depending on how it gets manufactured.

Pro/E does however have the capability to unbend non-ruled geometry, but it involves telling Pro/E where to allow the material to stretch, and in what manner. When you allow the stretching, it actually adds material to the model, and maybe not exactly the way you want it to, so again it increases in mass, but it does get you to the flat state. Personally, I’m not a big fan of this technique, but it is available.

Best Regards,

Matt

Top Tags