cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Spiral Bevel gear design

Max_TRRS
4-Participant

Spiral Bevel gear design

Capture d’écran (2021).pngCapture d’écran (2025).png

Hello, I am a student in Mechanical Engineering and I am looking to make a so-called hypoidal pinion.

I want this pinion to be parametric, I have already done 90% of the work but I am stuck.
I am trying to find a curve that allows me to start from the top of the cone to a pitch circle where the tooth of my pinion is defined. This curve must have a BETA parameter that allows me to manage the inclination of the teeth.

The problem is that my curve goes too far, and I don't know how to limit the h factor in my equation, as you can see here ->
Capture d’écran (2026).png

My curve must take into account the following parameters (I think):

Spiral angle (β): This is the angle of the spiral of the tooth.
Pressure angle (𝛼): This is the angle formed by the line of action with the transverse plane.
Base radius (𝑟𝑏): This is the radius at the base (primitive) of the cone where the teeth begin.
Module (𝑚): This is the measure that connects the distance between two consecutive teeth on the pitch circle.
Taper angle (𝛾): This is the angle that determines the variation of the pinion diameter

Making a helical bevel pinion is quite complex, that's why I'm asking for help to finish this project.

6 REPLIES 6
ProFeature
14-Alexandrite
(To:Max_TRRS)

Hi @Max_TRRS 

Could you please explain your requirements more clearly?
Could you share your model?

Thanks

Max_TRRS
4-Participant
(To:ProFeature)

I am looking for tips to improve my definition model, to have the most reliable parametric hypoid pinion.

I hope there are some mechanical CAD experts who can help me with my formulas. Especially at the level of tooth creation because this is where I have the most doubts.

I also managed to improve the curvature of the tooth. The BETA angle seems more correct to me. But once the BETA angle exceeds 40°, some problems arise.Capture d’écran (2029).png

Max_TRRS
4-Participant

I can give you the file via private message

ProFeature
14-Alexandrite

Hi @Max_TRRS 

The community's purpose is not to assist individuals in private.
If you do not share your model with the community, we will not be able to assist you.

Max_TRRS
4-Participant
(To:ProFeature)

I was doubtful whether I can share my link here, sorry.

Here is the download link of the PRT file, I hope people here can help me.
hypoid-gear-def-v2.prtw 

ProFeature
14-Alexandrite

Hi @Max_TRRS 

I’m still not sure what specific issue you’re encountering. In my opinion, your challenge seems to be related to an engineering issue rather than something specific to Creo. I suggest visiting GrabCAD (with this link) and exploring the available parametrically designed bevel gears. You might find some inspiration for your need there.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags