cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Split a family table into parts/assemblies

FlorentSEGAERT
1-Newbie

Split a family table into parts/assemblies

Hi !

I have a family table in an assembly which calls parts from a family table in a part.

eg. M6_bolt <bolt.asm> = M6_screw <screw.prt> + M6_nut <nut.prt>

It seems to be not so stable and makes a few errors in proE. So I need to clean it.

I want to split my familly table into separate assemblies. How can you do that ?

Thanks for your answers.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

You can move a component to a subassembly in the model tree by right clicking the component then choose move to subassembly or you could create an sub assembly in the main assembly then move it where you would like it in the model tree then move or drag components to it.

It is still an issue for me. My assembly makes productpoint disconnect. I think it is because it doesn't like having an assembly (with a family table) made out of several parts from others familly tables (like explained in my first post, I hope I am clear enough and everyone understand).

So I need to split my generic assembly into as many independant assemblies as my family table. I heard there is (was ?) a way to do it but I don't know how !

I am not familiar with productpoint. I have never had the problem you are having. I don't see that being a problem. I would start moving components finding something that works then attack the ones that aren't. If it is a problem with productpoint then I am not the best to help you. Sorry.

This is the problematic assembly (which is in a much bigger one) !

Maybe I should moove the topic into the ProductPoint section... But I think family tables are managed in ProE... Let's see if there is an answer here, if not I will moove the topic.

I can't answer this specific to ProductPoint, but if your goal is to split instances off the table to make them separate models (whether it's a part or assembly generic) the process is pretty simple.

1. Open the generic that contains the family table you want to break up (we tend to call it divorcing the instances off the generic)
  2. Open the instance you want to break off the table (so now you have both the generic and the "to be divorced" instance both open in separate windows of the same Pro/E session).
  3. In the generic, select and delete the row defining the instance you are divorcing off the table (the instance that is currently open)
  4. Close the family table interface (OK) and save the generic. You should get a warning indicating the model you just divorced off the generic is no longer table driven.
  5. Go back to the window of the model that was the instance. In the lower right hand corner it should no longer say "instance...". Save this model and close it.
  6. You now have a generic model with one less instance defined in it and the model which was that instance is now a separate, non-table-driven model.

I would first take the time to figure out what is going wrong with your models and whether the source of the issue you are having is in Pro/E or in ProductPoint. What you've described, as far as family tabled components in a family table assembly, isn't that uncommon and should work. If the models work fine in Pro/E but misbehave in ProductPoint, try approaching it as a ProductPoint issue instead of possibly breaking up a good, functional Pro/E model as a workaround. Also be careful of how your existing family tabled assembly is utilized upstream in higher level assemblies. Breaking up the lower level table can cause failures upstream in some cases.

Regards,

Erik

Top Tags