cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Style Masters!

rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine

Style Masters!

Hello,

Suppose that you are trying to create a G2 surface and suddenly this message appear:

The cross curves are not connected with the same continuity as the connection.

What ARE the problems? What ARE the possible solutions? What would be the first thing to check? What's happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To answer your first question: Yes, the internal curves need to touch (intersect). In fact, I believe if the curves do not touch then you cannot complete the feature. Meaning the Green Check is greyed out.

Second question: Yes, I find it much easier to create internal datum planes within the SuperFeature for the U's and V's, and then create a planar curve on that plane. It gives me better control.

Third Question: There is no need to explicitly "split" the surface. The U's and V's are the internal influencing curves and will simply influence the internal shape. Keep in mind, the U's and V's need to be G2 to adjacent surfaces too if you want G2 for the surface. You may find in some situations you cannot get G2 to the adjacent surface using planar curves. If you cannot then you must use a "Free" curves for the U's and V's to get G2.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ruben,

Make sure your U and V iso-lines are G2 to the adjacent surfaces (actual surface...tagged to the surface) not necessarily just the boundary curve of the adjacent surface. Make sense?

Oh...and/or make sure your internal U and V iso-lines "intersect" in a way that ensures the surface resolves properly. Another way of saying this is to ensure there are no twists or tight inflections where the internal curves meet. Sometimes that is a problem.

Thank you for your answer.

To get this clear, even with the boundary curves with G2 connections if the internal iso-lines does not intersect each other the geometry could fail. A way to solve this could be adding a U and/or V isoline and manipulating this by hand? Or should I add another internal curve? (splitting the surface).

To answer your first question: Yes, the internal curves need to touch (intersect). In fact, I believe if the curves do not touch then you cannot complete the feature. Meaning the Green Check is greyed out.

Second question: Yes, I find it much easier to create internal datum planes within the SuperFeature for the U's and V's, and then create a planar curve on that plane. It gives me better control.

Third Question: There is no need to explicitly "split" the surface. The U's and V's are the internal influencing curves and will simply influence the internal shape. Keep in mind, the U's and V's need to be G2 to adjacent surfaces too if you want G2 for the surface. You may find in some situations you cannot get G2 to the adjacent surface using planar curves. If you cannot then you must use a "Free" curves for the U's and V's to get G2.

Excellent answer.

Thank you very much.

Top Tags