cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Tolerance Coding

nathan.wille
1-Newbie

Tolerance Coding

Hello,

new at smart assembly and I don't have a problemcoding to displaydimensions in a .prt or .drw but I can't figure out how to specify limit tolerances on a dimension. I can't use the same tolerance range for each iteration I am generating. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Nate

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi Nathan,

Setting the dimensional tolerances is pretty straightforward using the SET_DIM_TOL and SET_DIM_TOL_TYPE commands. The problem is always setting the right dimension to the right tolerance.

As with everything else in SmartAssembly your design rules drive your programming methodologies. We can't stress this enough to folks when they first start out because most people want to just dive in and start typing. In your case, since you can't use the same range for each dimension that you touch, you have to come up with some way of linking a specific dimension to a specific tolerance.

You can use equations to drive to the tolerance, like for press or slip fits (Max = Diameter-0.0005 / Min = Diameter-0.0008).

You can use a data table (Excel) that governs specific dimension types to specific tolerances.

You can use the brute force method and just prompt the user for the tolerance of specific dimensions.

It's really case specific. If you provide some more information on what you are specifically dealing with, other people may be able to offer up alternative suggestions.

Thank You,

Joel Beckley

Application Engineer

SIGMAXIM

Top Tags