cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Trouble bringing in newly created Start Part

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Trouble bringing in newly created Start Part

I just built a new start part model for a specific type of a die that we many times need to create.

I thought that the only step to creating the start part was to save a model in the template directory.

When I try to create a new model based off the start part I am getting the message; "the start model has external dependencies. Copy aborted"  So the new part creation based off the start part fails.

I've never run into this issue before, I'm wondering what I may have done wrong.

As far as external references go I'm not sure what it is looking at.

One thing that I can say is that my start part model was created off of another File/Save As type model.  When you look at the part's common name you see the original named part.  It would be nice to be able to change the name to match the true model name, but I'm thinking this shouldn't create the external dependencies issue.

Another thing I see is that there are several small parts that I merge into the model I'm using as a start part.  These were brought in with Merge Inheritance.  I went in to the merge operation and removed dependencies on them.  Even with this done I'm not able to open up this model as a start part.

Any idea of why this isn't working?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pimm)

Would I be correct to say that a start part can't include any type of a merge, even though the external reference is broken?  Would this be the same with copy geom?

I'd say that's probably a pretty good assumption.  If the reference viewing list other models, then "under the hood" there is still a link.  I would suggest you avoid any type of external reference features in a start part...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Paul Imm‌, take a look at the reference viewer.  It should show you what external references still exist.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

Tom,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I knew there was a reference viewer, but didn't know where it resided.

Dependencies.JPG

When I broke the link to update the inserted component it still sees itself as an external reference.

Would I be correct to say that a start part can't include any type of a merge, even though the external reference is broken?  Would this be the same with copy geom?  Would there be any way around this?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Would I be correct to say that a start part can't include any type of a merge, even though the external reference is broken?  Would this be the same with copy geom?

I'd say that's probably a pretty good assumption.  If the reference viewing list other models, then "under the hood" there is still a link.  I would suggest you avoid any type of external reference features in a start part...

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Tom:  Most likely you are correct, but it sure would be nice if it wasn't necessary to have a start part free of external merges.

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Tom:  I wish you could have external imports but it appears you are correct that this just isn't possible.  I can understand why it would be this way.

I haven't really looked at the possibility of assemblies being start parts.  If that was possible it would allow the insertion of external imports.

With the model I made as a start part I built some modified elliptical bolt holes right within the model itself.  This allows it to be a start part.  The problem that I foresee down the road would be that the elliptical bolt holes need to be changed.  This would mean that I would have to go into a couple dozen models and change the bolt holes independently within each of these individual models.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Assembly start parts (templates) are the same way.  They can't contain any models (or external references) either.

Top Tags