cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Universal CAD Formats & relations?

MikeMinsterkett
1-Newbie

Universal CAD Formats & relations?

Hi All,

I make solid CAD models with built in adjustability using relations. I end up having to make custom models from the adjustable model I already have becasue when the Customer receives the iges or step file it is just an imported feature. In a perfect world I would like to send the Customer a solid model with my built in relations so they can manipulate to fit in their application. I get a lot of complaints about "I can't manipulate the model". I only use PROE so I can't speak for the other systems but I think this is normal. I can take the iges or step & manipulate without the relations it just takes a little work. My question is does anybody know of a universal CAD format where my built in relations will travel with the model? Im just looking to get the Customer more flexibility when designing in applications.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Are they trying to modify exported files (STEP, IGES, etc.?). If so, it's a dumb geometry file they can doo boolean operations on downstream, but that's about it unless they have feature recognition software. to my knowledge, things like relations don't come across, especially in an export file.

Yes. Most of the time with feature recognition tools you get errors & a lot of times it wont recognize the features you want. I use it sometimes just to get some standard datum planes. It would be nice though if it was possible to capture relations with an exported universal CAD format. I am not aware of a way so thought I would post about it.

thanks

hi,

Each of the universal formats like IGES, STEP, SAT, VDA, Parasolid, etc. have their own specifics of what kind of data can they contain (part names, layers, model colors, curves, surfaces, solids, etc.). But as far as I know you can't transfer Pro/E relations or parameters into any of these universal CAD formats.

There are some sort of not very perfect translators for example for drawing parametric data from for example SolidWorks model to Pro/E but to do that you always need to have the native data from such other CAD. Once the parametric model is exported into universal format it's dead for good.

Thanks for the replies. It seems that it is not possible.

Top Tags