cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Wildfire 3 Pro/CABLE: Can a Connector be a Subassembly?

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Wildfire 3 Pro/CABLE: Can a Connector be a Subassembly?

The Situation: Wildfire 3.0 (M210) Pro/CABLING Importing Logical Ref from RSD 7.0 (Datecode M010) What Works: 1. I create a Wiring Diagram in RSD 7.0. 2. I export an .xml file from RSD. 3. I import the .xml file into WF3,Pro/CABLE as a Logical Ref. 4. In the WF3,Pro/CABLE .asm file, the Connectors (Designated Components) are PARTS(.prt). 5. Everything works as expected: a. Component>AutoDesignate works. b. Feature>Create>Wire works. c. The Wire Spool is created as expected. d. AutoRoute works. Note: I am using Network Ops>Route to define the routing path. What Doesn't Work: 1. I create a Wiring Diagram in RSD 7.0. 2. I export an .xml file from RSD. 3. I import the .xml file into WF3,Pro/CABLE as a Logical Ref. 4. In the WF3,Pro/CABLE .asm file, the Connectors (Designated Components) are SUBASSEMBLIES(.asm) which contain the connector geometry (.prt which includes the C-sys/Entry Ports) and backshell geometry (.prt). 5. Everything works as expected BUT AUTOROUTE DOES NOT WORK: a. Component>AutoDesignate works. b. Feature>Create>Wire works. c. The Wire Spool is created as expected. d. AutoRoute DOES NOT work, citing "Insufficient entry-port information". Note: I am once again using Network Ops>Route to define the routing path. My Thoughts: The difference between the sitation that WORKS and the situation that does NOT WORK is simply that the connector geometry is nested within two SubAssemblies (.asm) rather than being at the top level of the Assembly as two Parts (.prt). I'm guessing that makes it impossible for Pro/CABLE to find the C-sys/Entry-Port info which resides in the connectors (Parts) which are nested inside the SubAssemblies. My Suspected Remedies: 1. Do not nest connector .prt geometry (and thus the C-sys/Entry-Port info) to be used as a Designated Component into a .asm Subassembly. 2. If a guy wants to use as a .asm Subassembly as a connector (Designated Component) then the C-sys/Entry-Port info must not be sitting at the connector Part (.prt) level; it must be sitting at the .asm level (similar to the ASM_DEF_CSYS). Can anyone confirm my suspicions regarding the file structure? Or if anyone is successfully using .asm files as a connector (Designated Component), what is your key to success? If you are using a Connector + Backshell subassy (.asm) inside of a higher assy (.asm) in which you are routing cable, at what level of the file structure do your C-sys/Entry-Ports reside? Thanks for the feedback.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Scott, I think you got it right. The Autodesignate is basically looking for a "component" (whether part or assembly) that matches the properties of the block (or group) in RSD, specifiaccly the port. So you could use a subassy as a connector as long as the c-sys intended for the port is in the subassy level, not a part level.
Top Tags