cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

abs accuracy value for plastic parts/mold design/machining

al204
1-Newbie

abs accuracy value for plastic parts/mold design/machining

Hello ProE users...

I have a question concerning the abs accuracy parameter that I should use to model plastic parts and the molds that will be designed after them.

What value are you currently using?

At the moment I´m using 0,0254 mm (0,001 inches). Is this tolerance too high??

So far I have had good results with this value, I just want to know what most of you out there are using and why.

thanks, best regards

AL.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:al204)

We use an absolute accuracy of 0.0001"/ 0.0025mm for all of our parts. Back when I was doing mold design in Pro|E (7.5+ years ago) I used the same value. It worked well. I'm wondering if an allowable edge of only 1/1000" (0.001") is possibly too large for molded parts and all the small radii and transitions involved, especially with more organic shapes. On the other hand, if it's working for you, why change it? If you're getting a lot of tiny edge geom checks, I think that would be a sign that your accuracy value is too large.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags