cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

component constrain plane to centerline or edge

ptc-2602249
1-Newbie

component constrain plane to centerline or edge

Assembly mode: I have a rectangular part with 2 holes in it. It is angled from the frame at a 30 degree offset. I constrain the rectangular part to the frame with mate/coincident from the back surface of the rectangle part to the face of the frame. I constrain the top surface of the part to the top surface of the frame with an angular offset. I want to add a constraint either to the edge of the component or to a CL of one of the holes to place the part along the frame. I don't want to create a plane in the assembly mode just to align this part. Our assemblies are large and adding planes for every cock eyed part doesn't make sense. Thanks in advance.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

u can add that angular plan in the model instead of the assembly. u can also create a transform csys in the model and assemble it via the csys constraint in the assembly. both options keep u from adding additions features to the aseembly.

We're using WF 4 M100

The rectangular piece I'm adding is a mount for a hose clamp. The part is used in hundreds of ways in an assembly and I don't want to create planes in the part to every angle that the part could be installed in just to locate the part in various assemblies.

then i'd go with the transform csys and name the csys per the assembly its in, or per the assembly its in plus the location if u cant use standard constraints to lock it down.

Another suggestion. I've had to do this on a few occasions because the Edge-on-Surface Constraint is not general enough to allow the use of an Axis in the Component. It's a little screwy, but here goes: create a small flat surface (which you can permanently hide) with one of its edges along the axis you want to use, then use that edge for the Edge-on-Surface constraint.

I'm pretty sure that WF4 can do a plane angle offset assembly constraint. Try picking two planes as the constraint, then looking for the angle offset option... I think this was introduced around WF3, or maybe a bit earlier - either way it was long overdue!

You can use angle offset in the assembly constraints, but you must use an axis or other item that would be a rotation axis before Pro-E will give the angle offset on the planes as available for a constraint.

The blue rectangle part with the 2 holes is the component that I want to constrain. I don't want to create additional features in the tree to locate this part. I'm hoping this constraint feature was added to a newer build version or WF5. We already need to upgrade away from WF4 M100 because of the slow measure time.

sorry about the large pic. should have previewed. Where is the edit/delete post tab?
Top Tags