cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

how to move flat face parallel to plane in part mode

pimm
14-Alexandrite

how to move flat face parallel to plane in part mode

I know that in assembly mode you can constrain a model parallel from face to a plane.

I need to import and position a customer model in part mode.  It doesn't seem that the above capability is available in part mode.

I can rotate a quilt in one direction in part mode but can't align a face to a compound angle.  When you rotate in one direction 1st and another direction next it can move the 1st rotation slightly out of position.

I would like to be able to make a flat face on my part align in a parallel direction with one movement.

I don't prefer to do the alignment in assembly mode because it would require an extra data transfer (and possible added IDD errors) to get the customer model in part mode.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:pimm)

Have you considered using merge/inheritance to bring the data in to your part file? It brings a part file in to another part file and you use the same component placement dialog as assembly mode.

Model tab - get data drop down arrow - merge/inheritance.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Have you considered using merge/inheritance to bring the data in to your part file? It brings a part file in to another part file and you use the same component placement dialog as assembly mode.

Model tab - get data drop down arrow - merge/inheritance.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:StephenW)

Awesome!

This would mean that we would change our methodology somewhat but it would do exactly what we are looking to do.

Sometimes you can use tools for quite a while and not realize there are options above which you use.  That would certainly be the case here.  I believe I've always just defaulted everything that I merge/inheritance.

Thanks for your suggestion!

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Another option is to create a CS in your part at an angle and align your import to it.  Once imported you'd tweak the angel to get the planes parallel.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags