cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

importing multiple files into a single .prt file

TedOtto
3-Visitor

importing multiple files into a single .prt file

Is there a way to import an assembly step file (Or two separate step files) into a single part without it merging/combining all the components together?  I have a part that has a steel inner hub part that has a rubber over molding on it.  I want to import these two step files into a part file so it's a single part file, but shows both imported parts in it...but when I do so, it combines them into one feature.  I've imported the inner hub first and then imported the second (rubber) part and it still merges them together, they show two separate import features in the model tree, but combines them.  I want to keep them separate to show the interface detail between them in the model.  So when I do a X-section, I can see they are two different parts.  The only way I have made it sort of work, is to import one and then do an offset on all the "interface" surfaces, I offset them .0001" and then import in the second file....then it shows them separately but there is actually that .0001" gap in between them.  For now this works, but wondering if there is a config setting or option somewhere to prevent them from merging together....just keeping them as two separate "imported bodies."

Thanks!

Ted

1 REPLY 1
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:TedOtto)

I don't think you can do exactly what you want. Creo does not support multi-body parts. You may already be using the most effective solution.

The way I handle things like this is to use an assembly to show the part interface and also merge the parts into a single part for use in the next level assembly.

We do this for large weldments that are subsequently machined. We need to detail how the components are assembled but in the end, we need the assembly to be one part so we can perform extensive,post-welding, machining.

Top Tags