cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

"No Part" parameter

cmarquardt
6-Contributor

"No Part" parameter

Hey guys, I know there already is information out there on this, and I am just not searching for it properly; can someone point me in the right direction here, maybe an article or even a better search phrase for this?

In Creo, I know there is a way to add a parameter to the CAD file (.prt or .asm) that will drive Windchill to not create a Windchill (WT) Part when an auto association is performed.  I have read about it before and I even, years back, took a PTC-Live day course that covered this as well.  But I can't seem to find any info on it.

Thanks!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@cmarquardt wrote:

Hey guys, I know there already is information out there on this, and I am just not searching for it properly; can someone point me in the right direction here, maybe an article or even a better search phrase for this?

In Creo, I know there is a way to add a parameter to the CAD file (.prt or .asm) that will drive Windchill to not create a Windchill (WT) Part when an auto association is performed.  I have read about it before and I even, years back, took a PTC-Live day course that covered this as well.  But I can't seem to find any info on it.

Thanks!!!

I think you are looking for this windchill preference: Part Structure Override Attribute Name

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS156068

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:cmarquardt)

Why have Auto Associate enabled if you don't want the Wtparts created?

If you do a custom check-in, you can turn off the association.

cmarquardt
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

Well, because you don't want there to be WT parts for every single CAD part.  There are often times you may have an instance of a CAD part, for example a flexible brake line.  The binned part might just be a "straight" 20" long hose, used in multiple different locations.  However, when installed the part takes on a particular shape for routing.  This "installed" version of the part will not have an owner link to any WT parts, so I do not want it to auto associate and have one.  Another example is when using large assemblies, especially in a structure with optional equipment, you may have many levels of "install" assemblies, where you need the rest of the product shown for locational information and installation procedures, however this assembly does not go into the final product structure, or else you would have duplicate parts in the production model (and/or eBOM) structure.

There are many, many, many reasons why you may want this, which is why PTC has a way for you to do it.  I just can't seen to find it.

@cmarquardt wrote:

Thanks!!!

I think you are looking for this windchill preference: Part Structure Override Attribute Name

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS156068

cmarquardt
6-Contributor
(To:RandyJones)

That must be it, thanks!

Top Tags