cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

same section name from family table

AnkurAggarwal
1-Newbie

same section name from family table

hi everyone, I have a model with family table having one instance. Generic is machined model and instance is cast model. I created a section A-A for cast drawing thru datum DTM_A plane and another section B-B thru DTM_B plane for machined drawing. But, as per drafting practices, whatever sections we show in a drawing it should start from A-A, then B-B and so on. But in machined drawing of my part, the only section I am showing is B-B. Can I show the section thru DTM_B in machined drawing and still name it as A-A in drawing. Thanks, Ankur
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

I would say the best way is the make sure the section is NOT dependent on any solid geometry. If it's a simple planar section, just offset the datum plane where it needs to be numerically instead of making a plane thru a surface or something. That way the section will exist regardless of generic and/or instance geometry. You cand o the same with an offset (sketched) section, but it's just a little bit more involved, and again, use NO solid geometry references. I would build my model as a top-down model, with a generic having a "skeleton" series of curves and any other datum geometry. Then use that to define your casting (generic or instance), and subsequent machining instance. This "skeleton" would also define any x-sections.
Top Tags