cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

unable to work in WF4 while ProI3.4 checks out files

DennisRehmer
8-Gravel

unable to work in WF4 while ProI3.4 checks out files

To all,

We are using WF4.0, with ProI3.4 and I have a question.

Currently if I do anything in ProI3.4 (check out files, refresh workspace, or anything else to any workspace), I cannot do any work in Pro/E even if it is a different workspace than where I might be checking files out too. So I might be checking out files to workspace A and started Pro/E from workspace B, I cannot do any work to my design that is in workspace B.

We will be going to Creo2 and PDMLink sometime next year, and I wanted to know if this still happens with this. It gets very annoying that I cannot work in Pro/E while ProI is doing an operation, even when I am trying to do things in two different workspaces.

Dennis

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:DennisRehmer)

Yes and No. If you are using the imbedded browser in Creo 2, you can not do anything while you are performing workspace operations. But, if you are using the stand-alone IE (or other browsers), you can perform workspace operations while working in Creo.

There are several things in PDMLink that are significantly different than in ProI 3.4. Depdening on your company set up, you will likely have a local workspace and a server side workspace (same workspace, but has some nice features). You can do operations on the server side workspace at the same time as working in Creo (although not recommended in the same workspace as this can cause conflict).

PDMLink has a lot of terminology differences so I suggest update training before making the move.

Steve

Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure how we will be set-up, but did here that there is the option for a local and server side workspace.

Dennis

I would not call it an option, it is a default feature.

In Pro/I prior to 8.0, you had commonspace and workspace. Any operation in a workspace would lock your Pro/E session until the upload/download was completed.

In PDMLink, you have the main repository folders (commonspace), a server side workspace and a client workspace. You only interact with the client workspace through the imbedded browser of Pro/E or Creo. You interact with the server side commonspace and workspace through a web browser.

You can be working in one workspace in Creo and in another workspace in your browser. it is good practice to NOT access the same workspace from both sides at the same time.

gwalker
4-Participant
(To:DennisRehmer)

We have not had Pro/INTRALINK since 2010, but here is what I remember as advantages and disadvantages of PDMLink.

1. In Pro/INTRALINK, you could open multiple sessions of Pro/E linked to multiple workspaces. In PDMLink 9.1 you can only open one Pro/E session linked to a workspace. Attempting to open a second one can cause the workspace cache to be corrupted (or will generate a message from PDMLink depending on the version).
  2. In Pro/INTRALINK, Pro/E was locked until any Pro/INTRALINK process completed. In PDMLink with the embedded browser, some processes can be performed in the background (upload or download) while continuing to work in Pro/E. With the browser in a seperate process, you may have more capability as Steve mentioned.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:gwalker)

There are methods to allow multiple Creo sesssions to acess multiple workspaces, but they are not recommended. The key with Windchill-based systems and Creo is to run separate .wf_cache files for each session of Creo. Again, it is NOT recommended that any of your multiple sessions share a workspace as this will lead to corruption of the worksopaces. As to how to setup multiple .wf_cache files, you will have to dig out that information from the knowledge base.

Top Tags