cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

using text in Creo sheetmetal is a nightmare?

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

using text in Creo sheetmetal is a nightmare?

I sent a dxf sheetmetal part with lots of engraved text (with a font thats suitable for lasercutting of course) to our manufacturer.

They told me the text is totally messed up with lots of double lines and interrupted lines and its too much work to have it lasercut.

Also they told me that many times dxf files of sheetmetal parts made in Creo have small gaps in objects to be lasercut.

How is this possible? In Creo everything looks fine but if I open exported files in any other dxf/dwg viewer, I indeed see lots of gaps.

When I press "preview" in the Export Setup tab, I do see lots of green lines (these are double lines?) in the text, but I cant do anything with this information.

Why is extruded text messed up when exporting? What can I do about it?

See images:

Doc4.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:bp)

no one?

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

I made a test with Arial text on a bend part. I don't really see the problem. You'll find attached what I did, maybe it can help.

gkoch
1-Newbie

When you write "any other program", which ones in particular did you test?

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:gkoch)

autocad 2016, Brava DWG viewer and  eDrawings

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

How are you exporting the data?

I do a lot of water jet and laser work and have had pretty good luck with it.

Only one supplier was really picky about having polylines but all other services accept a DXF right out of a Creo drawing.

Make sure you don't have any DXF setup file floating around.  It could be that you are exporting something other than default.

Another tip that might be useful considering how this text is made; make the view of only one surface.

This could be a section with no hatching and the background turned off.  That way, only elements in this one plane are displayed.  Although Creo will remove overlapping lines by default, the deviation from formed sheetmetal may not do a good job of this creating overlaps and duplication.

Are you exporting the model or a drawing of the model? We have better luck exporting a dxf of a drawing. Creo can removes a lot of the double lines in the drawing view. We have exported thousands of dxf files for our laser with any geometry issues.

Top Tags