cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Destructive testing.

Thesunshines
1-Newbie

Destructive testing.

I have been running a few models in creo two of a simply bolt holding two plates together. I want to load the plates in order to snap the bolt and examine the two ends. Is this possible in simulate lite?

Also does anyone one knw how to set the plates to inifinite scale?

Finally does one know where I can find a good video about the constraints, I need a little guidance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I want to load the plates in order to snap the bolt and examine the two ends.

What do you mean by this? Are you wanting to look at the surfaces exposed by the material fracture and gain insight from it (such as in a physical test like the picture below)?

http://met-tech.com/images/clip_image004_003.jpg

If so, then this is something that you realistically can't simulate in any FEA code (let alone Simulate Lite). How a bolt fails is, in part, driven by defects in the crystalline structure of the metal. However, in any realistic FEA model, the material will be treated as homogenous (meaning it won't have any of these defects present). FEA will give you an approximation of the stress and strain gradient within the bolt under load, but it won't be able to exactly duplicate a physical test. Getting FEA results that agree with a physical test to within 5% is typically very challenging to do, and is highly dependent on how complex the system is (both from a geometry and physics standpoint).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I want to load the plates in order to snap the bolt and examine the two ends.

What do you mean by this? Are you wanting to look at the surfaces exposed by the material fracture and gain insight from it (such as in a physical test like the picture below)?

http://met-tech.com/images/clip_image004_003.jpg

If so, then this is something that you realistically can't simulate in any FEA code (let alone Simulate Lite). How a bolt fails is, in part, driven by defects in the crystalline structure of the metal. However, in any realistic FEA model, the material will be treated as homogenous (meaning it won't have any of these defects present). FEA will give you an approximation of the stress and strain gradient within the bolt under load, but it won't be able to exactly duplicate a physical test. Getting FEA results that agree with a physical test to within 5% is typically very challenging to do, and is highly dependent on how complex the system is (both from a geometry and physics standpoint).

Thankyou for that. Yes thats exactly what I meant. I have never used CAD before and assumed that it would be fairly straight forward. I will now focus else where for my project, you have just saved me a great deal of wasted time and effort.

Clearly you know more than I, in terms of vibrations, can simulate lite simulate these?

...in terms of vibrations, can simulate lite simulate these?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Simulate Lite does not provide access to the dynamic analysis capabilties in Simulate. However, if you have access to Mechanism, then you might be able to simulate your vibration system (and if you're looking only at rigid body motion).

Top Tags