cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Draft check in Creo Wildfire 5, what happend?

rcrisp
1-Newbie

Draft check in Creo Wildfire 5, what happend?

Proe Users,

Is there a config setting to go back to the old draft check? The new one doesn't show all the surfaces when a draft check is performed, I do not understand why this would be changed and how the new one is better, it does not show me the information I need to see.

Ryan Crisp | Senior Mechanical Engineer

Priority Designs
501 Morrison Rd.
Columbus, OH 43230
(614) 337-9979
www.prioritydesigns.com<">http://www.prioritydesigns.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email along with any attachments contains proprietary information, some of which may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient of this email, you must not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance of this transmission. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and permanently delete all copies of the email and any attachments.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9
DeanLong
10-Marble
(To:rcrisp)

Ryan,

Did anyone respond with a solution to the "new and Improved" draft check debacle? I too am suffering with the color dithering incorrectly and I cannot rely on the visual accuracy of the draft check tool any longer. I am now forced to go into individual features and verify the draft on funky organic surfaces which is not easy with our newtoolset. I too liked and had 100% confidence in the old toolset...not any longer. I have to check with a value 2.9 to see it I can pull my part with 3 degrees.Painful bit of verification.

PTC...can any of you shed some light on why the draft tool was changed and what the reason wasprompting the change?

DeanLong
10-Marble

further to this issue:

The attached pics demonstrate the issue I have with the new toolset.

I measure the angle of my draft explicitly and I get 87 degrees as expected. Image: "actual surface measurement"

I then measure using the Draft Check tool using the planar feature as the neutral plane and I get the report I would expect. Image: "using the part as neutral"

I then run the same Draft Check using a parallel plane offset from the part as the neutral plane and I get a different image report. Image: "parallel plane as neutral"

My neutral planes in each draft checkARE parallel...there should be no difference with the reporting of the draft visually, but there is. This is a huge issue that somehow has been overlooked.

PTC?

In Reply to Dean Long:

Ryan,

Did anyone respond with a solution to the "new and Improved" draft check debacle? I too am suffering with the color dithering incorrectly and I cannot rely on the visual accuracy of the draft check tool any longer. I am now forced to go into individual features and verify the draft on funky organic surfaces which is not easy with our newtoolset. I too liked and had 100% confidence in the old toolset...not any longer. I have to check with a value 2.9 to see it I can pull my part with 3 degrees.Painful bit of verification.

PTC...can any of you shed some light on why the draft tool was changed and what the reason wasprompting the change?

Dean, Ryan

I'm trying to understand the behavior that you are both seeing. From what I understand of the above thread the issue is

"A draft analysis that is measured from a neutral plane that is parallel to a planar face is reporting a different result than a draft analysis that is measured from that same planar face."

Is this accurate? I'm trying to reproduce the issue here and will let you know what I find.

Rosemary Astheimer

Product Manager

This probably won't help your particular problem, but I recently found that putting the model in "no hidden" view instead of shaded during a draft pick is easier on the eyes. Surfaces edges highlight and it's easier to see what's happening with draft angles.

-Matt

DeanLong
10-Marble

Rosemary,

Yes, that is the behavior I am experiencing.Selecting a planar feature of the solid geometry as the "pull direction"gives a different visual result than selecting a datum plane as the "pull direction". If you look again at the images I attached to this thread you will see these differing results.

A side note: By reversing the direction arrow once the analysis has completed, the visual anomaly reverses sides. If I had to suggest where I think you should look, it would be within the old "one direction - two direction" draft check selection from older revs and how that was revised to our current toolset. It almost appears as though there is some resultant conflict with the draft check results in WF5 code. In other words, the draft check seems confused as to what side to assign the colors at the explicit value input by the user.

Thanks

Dean

In Reply to Rosemary Astheimer:

Dean, Ryan

I'm trying to understand the behavior that you are both seeing. From what I understand of the above thread the issue is

"A draft analysis that is measured from a neutral plane that is parallel to a planar face is reporting a different result than a draft analysis that is measured from that same planar face."

Is this accurate? I'm trying to reproduce the issue here and will let you know what I find.

Rosemary Astheimer

Product Manager

I think we can pinpoint this thread down to 2 points:

1. measuring from a surface gives a draft value in one direction but measuring from a plane that is parallel to that surface gives a draft value in the other direction

2. the option to choose to see "one" or "both" angles is no longer present in the dialog

I have started a discussion with the development team to see if we can begin to understand how the measurements in the newer version determines which direction to use (maybe related to the Csys?) now that option to show one or both is gone. As soon as I have further info I will post again.

Thanks for your patience,

Rosemary

DeanLong
10-Marble

Rosemary,

Your point 1 is not explicitly correct.

A correct way to state the issue is: By measuring draftfrom a planar feature on the partas opposed to usinga parallel datum plane gives different results.

The issue of direction I pointed out was merely an observation. The differing results between usingthe planar feature on the part and a parallel datum plane happens regardless of direction. If it's still confusing we can speak offline.

Thanks,

Dean

In Reply to Rosemary Astheimer:

I think we can pinpoint this thread down to 2 points:

1. measuring from a surface gives a draft value in one direction but measuring from a plane that is parallel to that surface gives a draft value in the other direction

2. the option to choose to see "one" or "both" angles is no longer present in the dialog

I have started a discussion with the development team to see if we can begin to understand how the measurements in the newer version determines which direction to use (maybe related to the Csys?) now that option to show one or both is gone. As soon as I have further info I will post again.

Thanks for your patience,

Rosemary

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Why was the option to measure draft in both directions removed? Anyone
who has to draft parts will tell you that most times, darn near all the
time frankly, you need draft in both directions. If PTC was going to
remove that option, it should default to 'both'.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

All,

PTC has confirmed that in some cases the draft analysis disply results are different depending on the pull direction that is used. SPR 2089144 has been filed for this with a HIGH priority. The exact builds have not yet been set, but we have requested it to be fixed in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 and later.

I have also confirmed that when the option to measure draft in both directions was removed the default is to show 'both'.

Rosemary

Top Tags