cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

How can I recover unsaved Parts and assemblies in exact form after Fatal Error?

sbhattacharya-2
3-Visitor

How can I recover unsaved Parts and assemblies in exact form after Fatal Error?

Dear all Creo Users,

Sometimes I encounter fatal error in creo after some repetitive failed attempt of selecting or some unknown reasons. I have used the searchbar and searched the ptc community for fatal error topic and find that some experts are saying about traceback. What are tracebacks? Are these trail files? Can it help to recover part,assembly files?

How can I recover my parts and assemblies and drawings in exact form after this error occurs. Usually ptc creo software completely shuts down after I click ok on fatal error.

Any suggestions, ideas, discussions regarding this will be helpful.

With regards,

Soumya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To close this community thread on Recovery of unsaved parts and assemblies after a fatal error

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions:

• As indicated in different replies, and article CS149125 , Creo does not create temporary files, therefore only the version of files explicitly saved can be reopened: 
    • So try to save on a regular basis.
    • Depending your configuration (option last_session_retrieval set to yes) you may get a Retrieval popup that can help getting the list of objects that were in memory, at the moment of the crash, but not at the unsaved states they were.
  • Traceback.log files contain the latest functions and libraries loaded when the program stopped, and could help PTC understands if you matched a known issue, see article CS49550
  • Trail.txt.# files may be used to replay the Creo session if the initial conditions of the previous session can be reset, see thread or article CS162905
  • If working connected to Windchill and the crash corrupted your Creo local cache you may review article CS104751
  • Also note that Undo - Redo actions are not available across different Creo sessions, or after an object is saved

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Unfortunately the solution to recovering unsaved work is to save more frequently!!

Traceback error log is a code that program generates that PTC can use to diagnose the problem. It is generally not for the user.

Trail files can sometimes be used to recover lost data. It's not necessarily easy. See Re: trail file for some help.

There is an old adage I learned from CAD interaction... and other programming functions from day one...

"SAVE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT!"

If your brain pops this up, SAVE!

Creo is very dependent on everything in memory.  It would have to write that image to recover correctly.

In many ways, it is better to back-step to the last known good save/interim save.

Good thing is that this really doesn't happened too often.

Once you get use to commands, you tend to trip up the system less.

So if you are embarking on something that you are less than comfortable with, save.

I am more than convinced that the user interaction has more to do with crashes than actual software bugs.

If you can reproduce a crash even, PLEASE report it.

Hi all,

But after anyone save a part in creo he looses undo option. Undo option seems invisible after saving.

Any idea to get rid of this?

With regards,

Soumya

Lose one step of work or lose all the work...doesn't seem like a tough option.

There is a product idea for undo (actually several product ideas)

Make UNDO actually undo across all of Creo

Not sure about what the undo is capable of but you do have increment versions which you can go back to with relative ease if you save incrementally.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

You may not have this feature turned on in your windows folders, but when you save a part  (Part1.prt), it is actually saving part1.prt.1. Each additional save bumps the last number  (.2, .3, .4, ...). You can go back to any of these that you want as mentioned above. You can also sent your windows folders to show you all these files that are created.

The undo function is a marker set internally to a file. It is always reset when the file is saved to the end of the file. This is by design and I doubt PTC will modify this behavior.

You also have a whole different scenario when dealing with a Windchill workspace than a Windows native folder. Workspaces do not have the file iterations. You only get them if you do a check-in to the Windchill vault.

One of the first things I learned about designing in CAD almost 40 years ago, still applies today: the 3F rule - File Fairly Frequently!

I don't look upon Undo as a means to roll back a lot of stuff, though very rarely it serves that purpose. I look upon it as more of a "I think this will work, let's hit regenerate, oh no" recovery button. It will let me revert back to before I messed up my model.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

For those who may not know, the reason that undoable changes are committed on Save is that in Creo, you can make complex/detailed references from one file to another, and committing the changes is needed for id stability.  If we did allow undo after save, we could end up with workflows like these:

There is a drawing D.1 of part P.1.

User 1 retrieves P.1, makes a new feature, saves it P.2, continues their session...

User 2 retrieves D.1 of P.2, sees the new feature, and documents it with detailing, showing dimensions and making a note pointing at an edge made by the new feature. They save D.2 (P is unmodified, and is still checked out to User 1).  They leave for the day.

Meanwhile, User 1 undoes the creation of the feature, and makes something different, maybe a cross-section and a different feature.  They save P.3 and leave for the day.

The next day, User 2 retrieves the drawing, now D.2 of P.3.... and the ids of the shown dimensions now correspond to a different feature, and may be of the wrong type (say, a radial dimension in the feature where the detailing information is for a linear dimension).  Worse, the edge that the note leader was pointing at now resolves to the cross-section... At best, they'll have misleading detailing, and might even crash.

With committing the undoable changes, User 1 can't 'un-create' the feature after save, and needs to delete it instead.  This makes the ids for its dimensions/edges know that there used to be something here, but now it is deleted.  Then the drawing updates predictably to the changes, removing the now-deleted dimensions and the note leader.

By no coincidence at all, this is also why you should never roll back (delete the latest version on disk or discard changes) to a referenced model without also rolling back a referencing model.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:mender)

I thought feature IDs were unique and not reused. I have seen sketcher IDs get reused; for example, create a datum sketch with some text, then change the colors of the resulting curve, then redefine the feature and change the text to a more complicated piece with different characters. The newly modified datum sketch will be a patchwork of colors. At least this used to be the behavior up to WF5, possibly Creo 2.

Sketch colors still misbehave that way and many more.  Try changing the color of the sketch entity to the color it is in the sketch... it ignores you, even though the color outside the sketch is different.  Meaning, my sketches are cyan in sketch mode and blue in modeling mode.  If I change the properties of the sketch to cyan in modeling mode, it remains blue.

To close this community thread on Recovery of unsaved parts and assemblies after a fatal error

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions:

• As indicated in different replies, and article CS149125 , Creo does not create temporary files, therefore only the version of files explicitly saved can be reopened: 
    • So try to save on a regular basis.
    • Depending your configuration (option last_session_retrieval set to yes) you may get a Retrieval popup that can help getting the list of objects that were in memory, at the moment of the crash, but not at the unsaved states they were.
  • Traceback.log files contain the latest functions and libraries loaded when the program stopped, and could help PTC understands if you matched a known issue, see article CS49550
  • Trail.txt.# files may be used to replay the Creo session if the initial conditions of the previous session can be reset, see thread or article CS162905
  • If working connected to Windchill and the crash corrupted your Creo local cache you may review article CS104751
  • Also note that Undo - Redo actions are not available across different Creo sessions, or after an object is saved
Top Tags