cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

The gray area between linear and nonlinear for static simulation

Joey_Chen
9-Granite

The gray area between linear and nonlinear for static simulation

When the stress-strain response of the material is defined as "Linear"; under what conditions one must activate the "plasticity" for the simulation.

Static simulations with linear material responses are considered "small deformation" theory.

If plasticity or large deformation does not exist when using linear material responses, why not black out this function. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@skunks Thank you for the presentation material. I need time to figure out the theory. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

we use the plasticity for the calculation of the plastic collapse

Thank you very much for your reply and interest in this topic.

Is this case done by using the "Elastoplastic" in the "Stress-strain response" definition of the material settings?

att. example for plasticity

Thanks again for your help.

In Creo Simulate, when we perform a simulation where the maximum stress exceeds the yield point. In this case, we will apply "Elastoplastic" to the stress-strain response of the material definition. At the same time, "Large deformation" and "Plasticity" in the nonlinear options are automatically checked. With this setup, we may get a result that is close to the real world situation.
Conversely, in a linear material circumstance, the "nonlinear option" in the Analysis Definition is still available. Therefore, I was wondering what kind of situation would use the nonlinear options. If not, why not to block these functionlity.

Joey_Chen_0-1654851689246.png

• a linear material and large deformations (often)
  • a linear material and contacts (very often)

video

video

Thank you for this reply and video skunks but I am still looking for another solution because these suggestions aren't quite working.

att. theory of plasticity

@skunks Thank you for the presentation material. I need time to figure out the theory. 

Top Tags