cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Udf instance selection in family table, possible?

sales3
1-Newbie

Udf instance selection in family table, possible?

Example:

There are many sizes of tapped holes, let’s say you want to choose between a ¼-20, 3/8-16 or ½-13 instance of a udf. The udf feature can be placed in the family table of the part it’s inserted into but the family table only allows you to select “yes” or “no” as to whether it should be included or not during regen of that particular part instance.

I’d like to be able to select the actual size by placing ¼-20, 3/8-16 or ½-13 into the appropriate cell on the family table but this doesn’t seem possible. It seems like this would be a very simple yet powerful function in family tables.

I know that I could drive the size with relations but due to the number of instances I need to create and the flexibility I need it to have for different instances it would not be easy.

Anyone have a slick solution?

Have a terrific day!

Best Regards,

Robert

3D ACCURACY

sales@3d-accuracy.com

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

I would think you could do that with the hole feature insteadof a UDF, that would allow you to turn the feature on and off plus choose any dimensional values of the threaded hole you want to be flexible. The only catch might be that you might not be able to change from a thru hole to a depth or vice-versa, but you could tackle that a few different ways.

grocha
1-Newbie
(To:sales3)

Robert,

I encouraje you to try “INSERT>SHARED DATA>merge/inheritance” if you have Advanced Assembly module.

First you have to design a solid containing the positive geometry of the holes (it works even better if you need the actual geometry of the thread) and create the instances;

Then you insert the hole geometry into the generic model using the mentioned command, it works like an assembly, you have to use the remove material option;

And finally you can drive a family table using the name of the instances of the hole model.

Like I said this works better for those who needs to have the actual geometry of the thread but maybe you have some ideas from that.

Good look

Warm Regards

Guilherme Rocha - Tech Support Consultant

PLM Solutions do Brasil

“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”

Top Tags