cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

What is the trick behind replacing a part model?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

What is the trick behind replacing a part model?

I have a part model that includes an External Merge.

I need to Replace one of the parts that gets merged.

There is no option for "Replace" in the tree so I choose "Edit Definition".

The merged part shows up top in a selection box "as shown".

Needs+Replaced.JPG

On 1st look there is no option to replace out the model. However if I right click in the selection box I get the "Replace" option which I click. I would think this would allow me to open up the file just to the right of the selection box, but it does not allow it to open so I could pick a part as the replacement. Instead I see the following warning dialog at the bottom of my screen.

Error+Message.JPG

Presently I am deleting the External Merge and reinserting the newly revised model file. I'm thinking it should be possible however to Replace out one model for another. How would this be done?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:pimm)

Hi Paul

After step 3 you need to re-name the file from within Creo. Do this by choosing File > Manage File > Rename. Choose "In session and on disk". Then save the top level assembly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
David_M
5-Regular Member

I'd try opening up your new version of 3355BLOCKER-2283.prt in a fresh session - make sure it has that name - then open up 3355BLK4DIE-2316.PRT and regenerate the feature. Afterwards you should be able change the name of 3355BLOCKER-2283.prt (if you want it to be different) and then save 3355BLK4DIE-2316.PRT so that it remembers the new reference model.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:David_M)

David:

It appears you have the answer but something seems to be missing as I can't seem to make this work. I'll go through the steps of which I tried perhaps you or someone else can point out what I didn't catch.

1) I deleted the old 3355blocker-2283

2) In windows I renamed the 3355blocker-2316 to 3355blocker-2283

3) This allows me to bring in the new 3355blocker-2283 model through Regenerate

4) In windows I renamed the 3355blocker-2283 to the new name 3355blocker-2316

5) I erased the 3355blocker-2283 from session management

At this point I can still replay the updated change which is great. Unfortunately the name associated with the External Merge is still the old name (3355blocker-2283) even though there is no such model file in existance. I tried right clicking the name to Replace the old name but it still does not allow this to be done. I still can't open the folder next to the merged part name.

I still am better off deleting the old External Merge and bringing in the new model because it carries the new name. The downside of this is if there are parametrics tied to the merged model; this means repairs need to be made downstream of the change.

I'm hoping that if there is a variation to what I did that this will actually work.

David_M
5-Regular Member

Hi Paul

After step 3 you need to re-name the file from within Creo. Do this by choosing File > Manage File > Rename. Choose "In session and on disk". Then save the top level assembly.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:David_M)

Thanks so much David!

I didn't realize that there was an option to save a model within Creo without creating a copy.

The way you described this with your initial answer led me to believe there must be something like this. That's why I said that I changed my file name in windows.

Once again Creo shows layers of complexity without giving a clear cut route to the answer.

This is extremely helpful; thanks for taking the time to let me in on the well hidden secret.

Top Tags