cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Anyone else experience slow loading of illustrations in Isodraw?

TimSharp
6-Contributor

Anyone else experience slow loading of illustrations in Isodraw?

We recently upgraded our computers and since then I find that Isodraw illustrations typically take about 5 seconds to load where previously smaller ones would load instantly. I thought it was something I'd have to live with, but I've just opened up 2 illustrations that loaded instantly. They are similar in size to illustrations done at the same time which all take 5 seconds to load.

This makes me think there may be something in our illustrations that is making Isodraw pause whilst loading, but that it isn't in these 2 that load instantly.

Does anyone know of anything that's likely to slow down loading that isn't related to the illustration size?

4 REPLIES 4

Validate your graphics drivers on your new computer are up-to-date and configured for best performance with IsoDraw. 

Have a look at your IsoDraw preferences too.

TimSharp
6-Contributor
(To:sallshouse)

Thanks for your reply. Could you be a bit more specific though so I know what to look for? Such as, what Isodraw Preferences affect illustration load time? And, is there somewhere that guides you to how to configure graphic drivers for best Isodraw performance?

I thought that because occasional illustrations load instantly, there may be some explanation within Isodraw itself rather than graphic drivers, so hopefully it could be something in preferences.

It's been a while since I've used IsoDraw and don't have the preferences in front of me.  In the past, I would hold down the shift key when I started IsoDraw.  It would generate a new preferences file in case the previous one got corrupted.  Any previous settings will be lost when you do this.  

I'm not aware of specific guidance for graphics drivers other than it is best practice to have the most recent ones loaded for your hardware.  I've tinkered with acceleration and 3D settings before.  These will be different depending on the hardware and drivers being used.  Any graphics technology will be sensitive to the installed drivers and memory available.

Examine the graphics. The experience may be different depending on the source of the graphics.

• Did they begin as 3D and optimized in IsoDraw CADprocess? Should perform better.
  • Were they exported as 2D Vector from some 3D CAD tool before being opened as 2D in IsoDraw?  There could be a lot of extra elements if this was the process?
  • Is it a hybrid graphic that combines raster and vector in one file?  The raster element can affect the graphic?

This is about as far as my help can go.  Support may do better if they know details about your new computer, version of IsoDraw and the graphics your working with.

TimSharp
6-Contributor
(To:TimSharp)

UPDATE: Windows 10 has just done a big update and now, it takes over 10 seconds to load most illustrations. The few that loaded instantly before, still load instantly, but all the others now take over twice as long to load as they did before the update.

Seems to be a Windows thing.

I don't know if it's connected, but often when loading illustrations it says that certain fonts are not loaded, even though the illustration doesn't use those fonts.

Top Tags