cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Arbortext Editor 7.1 create PDF Error: failed to create input directory e3comp

kregimbald
9-Granite

Arbortext Editor 7.1 create PDF Error: failed to create input directory e3comp

We have recently been upgraded to Windows 10.

User is trying to create a pdf of a dita document (which he has done in the past). Since last week he gets the following error:

ERROR: Failed to create input directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\e3comp\input5. FATAL ERROR: Operation Terminated.

I realized that he did not have the e3comp folder. So initially I re-created the folder e3comp and this seemed to resolved the issue for a few days. He is now getting the same error again (as well as a few other users).

Is it possible that something has changed on PE? If so, can someone provide some guidance as to how I can resolve this issue?

Why is the e3comp folder deleted and why is it not being re-created?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

I think this might be one for PTC Support. Firstly, the error message you have "shouldn't happen". The user should have always write access to their %LOCALAPPDATA% Temp folder, that's the whole reason for that folder's existence. The "e3temp" folder should be automatically created by Arbortext. Arbortext may also delete it too. You could try manually updating permissions on the Temp folder, or deleting it entirely and have the user log out and back in. I'm not sure Windows 10 or PE are to blame.

Thanks for you reply. Yes I have opened a ticket with PTC and so far we cannot find the culprit or resolve the issue.

I too think this may have something to do with Windows10 or PE as these have both been updated recently.

I'll update this post once we find a solution.

We are having the same issue within Schneider Electric.  To me it appears that some other application is removing the e3comp directory for our writers and this causes the publication issue.  I've tried creating a .acl file as per PTC's article - https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS289571 but it is difficult finding a common tmpdir folder for all my writers.

Based on that link, do you have to set the environment variable on each user's computer? Or can it be set on the Publishing Engine server?

If we set the acl in the custom folder, this should work for all users. Or not necessarily because they are using different temp folder? Is that what you mean?

The difficulty was finding a common area on all users machines.  We use their %HOME directory to now store the e3comp folder.  Thanks, Kevin

Ah ok! Thanks for the quick response.

We do have a common area for all our users. I will try that acl in one of those temp folders. 

Thanks again 🙂

Top Tags