cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Architect basics

JonCamp
1-Newbie

Architect basics

I'm using Architect to create a custom doc type. I selected XML(DTD) and although I am making progress, there are several glitches. One, when I save from the DTD editor I get "ERROR: could not write DTD file ..." even though it does actually save the changes. Two, when I select Edit->Test Document and Stylesheet the DTD changes are not active. I have to close Architect and reopen or open Editor or Styler and open the test XML doc or create a new one to see the changes. After I open the folder in Architect, the Compile menu only shows Compile->Validate Stylsheet...the command to compile the doc type is removed. I guess I have missed something in the inital setup? The documentation for initiating a new custom doc type is almost nil, at least to my searching so far. A detailed step-by-step example would be a major help.

3 REPLIES 3

This sounds complicated, but like you say you haven't found good documentation yet. The best reference that comes to mind is the Arbortext Customizer's Guide (or words to that effect). support.ptc.com -> Reference Documents is the place to look.

I haven't used Architect for a while, but setting up a doctype is pretty much:

1. Create a "custom" folder - can copy the (empty) custom folder structure from the Arbortext program folder to start you out.

2. Add your doctype folder inside the custom/doctypes folder. The name for your folder must match your DTD, best practice is to keep all the names in sync (DTD, stylesheet, .dcf, etc.)

3. Create your DTD, or copy it from elsewhere. The root DTD must be named the same as your custom folder name.

4. Create .dcf and stylesheets as required.

5. Setup the APTCUSTOM environment variable (in Windows) to point to your shiny new custom folder.

6. Restart Arbortext so it picks up the new APTCUSTOM.

There is obviously more to it than that, but at least that's a roadmap for you.

I forgot to mention. Compiling a doctype is only required for SGML DTDs (the compiled version is required by the MarkIt parser that is used for SGML). XML DTDs are not compiled for use by Arbortext (it can read them in their uncompiled format using, I believe, the Xerces parser).

Thanks, Gareth. I had done everything as you outlined except for creating the APTCUSTOM variable. That did not fix the DTD write error in Architect. I have an open issue with tech support and they say they have some history with my problem and will get back to me. Thanks again!

Top Tags