cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Macro

it1
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Macro

Fellow Forum Members,

I have recorded several Macros. However, I'm not sure how to assign custom keyboard shortcuts to each macro so that they are functional everytime upon Arbortext v5.4 startup. From what I have researched it requires entering special code in the Command Line. I would be very appreciative if someone can post the steps that will show me how to assign keyboard shortcuts to my macros. Please don't post a link to some other site. It's more convenient to have the answer posted in this thread. THank you.

4 REPLIES 4
it1
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:it1)

Can anyone out there please respond to my thread with any kind of advice. I really need to figure this out and find it sad my post has been up for a week with 40 views and no help yet. Thanks in advance for anyone who decides to help.

thendricks
3-Visitor
(To:it1)

First, I'm not an expert. I figured this out reading through the Arbortext help. To assign you'd need a line in a start-up ACL script. Basically a mapping from the key you want to be the shortcut pointing to the function. See below for the basic line.

map edit F8 custom::custom_function();

it1
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:thendricks)

Trevor,

Thanks for your post. Below is what I was able to find within Arbortext HELP regarding setting up a "User Startup File" :

"User startup file

You can create a user startup file to store user-specific key mappings, aliases, or functions. On Windows, use the APTRC environment variable to specify your user startup file. "

As you can see it is not much information to go by. Therefore, I would appreciate it if you or anyone out there can answer the following:

I don't seem to have a User Startup file available therefore I think I need to create one.

Is assigning this name to it correct: " User_Startup.acl "?

In what directory do I put it in?

Is setting up an APTRC environment variable really required? Or is there another way it can work without it?

Hi Ivan,

Any code that you want to execute at startup should be put into the "init " folder. Name it "init.acl." This will be the first script that Arbortext executes when it loads your custom environment.

I don't know if you're using custom folders or not. If you are, put init.acl into the init folder in your custom folder.

If not, you can put it into %ARBORTEXT-INSTALL%\custom\init. However, I'd recommend creating a custom folder and mapping to that folder using the APTCUSTOM environment variable.

As far as the key mapping, Trevor is correct. The ACL reference has this function well documented and can be downloaded from PTC's support site.

Hope that helps!

Top Tags