cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Associate English Topics with Translated Topics

EmilMeindl
1-Newbie

Associate English Topics with Translated Topics

I have a English DITA map that I have had translated into multiple languages. What are some ways in Arbortext and PDMLink that I can associate the translated DITA maps and topics with the English?

9 REPLIES 9

If you are using PDMLink already then you may be in luck. I understand that PTC has developed a Translation Management piece for Windchill which will handle the association of Master/Translated topics, and also provides a basic workflow for sending update packages out for translation.

This was only shown to me as part of the PTC Service Center product, so I'm not sure if you can acquire it separately from that product or not. You may need to contact PTC product management about the details.

The alternative would be to add this type of customisation to PDMLink yourself (*shudder*) or go "stone age" on it and use a spreadsheet for tracking.

Thanks for the response Gareth. I found this very helpful video that explains how the translation management piece works in Windchill PDMLink.

http://communities.ptc.com/videos/3209

Just to clarify....Translation Management is a component that is available as a part of Windchill Service Information Manager. You must have SIM installed in order to use this feature.

It appears that SIM and thus Translation Management is only supported on Oracle at this time. Unfortunately out Windchill system is running on MS SQL Server. Any idea when that might be supported???

With the 10.1 release stream, SIM is certified on Oracle.

With the 10.2 release stream (available in Q3 this calendar year), we will be certifying SIM on both Oracle and SQL.

~ Pushpinder

Thank you. That is great news!

Pushpinder,

Now that the 10.2 F000 release is out, I have checked the software matrices for compatibility of SIM with MS SQL server, and according to the documents, SIM will still only work with an Oracle db.

Is this an error? Can we use SIM with MS SQL Server? Is the functionality there but it just a matter of not being officially certified and supported yet? If not, what is the status?

Thanks,

John

Pushpinder K. Toor wrote:

With the 10.1 release stream, SIM is certified on Oracle.

With the 10.2 release stream (available in Q3 this calendar year), we will be certifying SIM on both Oracle and SQL.

~ Pushpinder

Hi John,

Thanks for the heads up on the software matrix. We have indeed tested and certified SIM 10.2 F000 on SQL 2012 DB Enterprise as well as Oracle.

I will have the documentation corrected.

Regards,

Pushpinder

Pushpinder,

Thanks for the answer. That is great news!

Regards,

John

Top Tags