cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Batch Tool and Get String

aporter
5-Regular Member

Batch Tool and Get String

NOTE: Much of the text was strangely removed after publishing...

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your help.

Function

I would like the user to insert a project Path via the GET STRING prompt. I would like this prompt to be executed once at the beginning of the Batch Process. The next time this macro is executed, alone or in a Batch Process, the old information should not be contained. 

Problem

1. Check if the GET STRING global variable is empty at the start of the Batch Process. 
  2. Execute the GET STRING command once at the beginning of a Bath Process.
  3. DISPOSING of the GLOBAL variable at the end of the Batch Process.

Progress

I have managed to assign the GET STRING to a GLOBL variable.

Alternative

Manually change the macro everytime a new path is required - already exists.

Thanks

Alan

2 REPLIES 2

Not 100% sure of what you're trying to do, but you might want to look at 'process convert'. I haven't used it myself, but it allows you to call a batch process from a macro. This would allow you to get your input first and then use it as a param assuming it's the input or output directory.

If this does not meet your need, can you clarify what the 'project path' is used for? Might be another route to the same end.

aporter
5-Regular Member
(To:thendricks)

Hi Trevor,

Is my understanding correct that the ''process convert' launches the 'Batch Process'?

I don't see a solution using this command, if you can, please enlighten me - I will try to better explain my problem.

The macro reads a text file for each corresponding illustration and replaces unwanted text within the illustration from the text files. In order to do this I execute the BATCH file [macro].

Here I insert the destination of the text files to be read. Each project has a different path. I would like to use the GET input_type "text" (GET STRING) command to retrieve the destination path from the user.

If I run a Batch Process I would like the GET command to be called just once at the beginning. Not every single time the macro is called within a Batch Process (every time an illustration is opened).

I could just manually insert the new path within the macro every time I have a new Destination Folder. But I would like to include this functionality for users with no IML or Marco file knowledge.

I hope that explains things a little better.

Thanks again Trevor.

Alan

Top Tags