cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Connecting Windchill from Arbortext

kpritchard
4-Participant

Connecting Windchill from Arbortext

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue or has ideas towards resolution... I have successfully connected client side Arbortext (5.4 M060) to Windchill (9.1 M050) using my machine. I am running into problems getting another user connected from their machine, but am able to connect from mine using their Windchill log-in. On the client side, both set-ups use identical userprefs.xml pointing to a common network located siteprefs.xml. User is able to browse to and read the siteprefs.

So I'm a bit stumped... any insights are greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Alessio
15-Moonstone
(To:kpritchard)

The hosts file, if you're using it.
kpritchard
4-Participant

hosts file? I don't think we're using it... but will look into.

no error message, just no available severes to select from (there should be two, Production and Development)

able to connect through IE Browser

Alessio
15-Moonstone

I interpreted your previous message as you were not able to connect.

Now I understand that you don't even see the server list...

I'm sorry I have no idea why the second Editor does not have access to /cannot parse siteprefs.xml.

Alessio Marchetti
PTC.com <">http://www.ptc.com>

byork
17-Peridot

Keir,

What file do you have in your "Arbortext Editor\adapters\com.ptc.prowt.arbortext" folder?

Brian

Brian York

-

Exmark Mfg. Co.

kpritchard
4-Participant

userprefs.xml

the Folders structure for cache (Workspace) and Logs is the same on both machines as well, and is defined by siteprefs.xml. userprefs points to a central siteprefs per best practice

byork
17-Peridot

I had a similar problem and what fixed mine was uninstalling and
reinstalling.

When I reinstalled it also added a cms_adapter.xml file in that
directory.

kpritchard
4-Participant

The next thing I've run into (and this is on my machine and connection... I'll keep the list updated on resolution of the issue connecting the other user) is an error when attempting to Save As Server Object. Error reads;

"The autonumbering feature should be enabled for "WCTYPE|wt.epm.EPMDocument|com.westport.DynamicDocument" soft type.
Please contact your server administrator."

We do need EPMDefaultDocuments (CAD/Pro-E) files to be manually numbered... and probably some (future) Dynamic Documents as these numbers come from ERP System. I realize this is probasbly more of a Windchill issue, but I'm trying my luck here. I am aware of TPI 149705 in the PTC Knowledge base and I've tried setting parent epm and dynamic types to auto number and the EPMDefault (CAD) to manual through OIR's in Windchill at the site level.

nothing has worked so far and I'm stumped... Any insights?

Alessio
15-Moonstone

Keith,

auto-numbering is defined in the object initialization rules (OIR), described in the TPI that you mentioned. If you have such a rule and auto-numbering is still disabled, then your problem is that your rule is not selected for execution.

Objects are stored in areas called contexts, and contexts are hierarchical. Each objects has a type, and types are hierarchical.

Give those two cross-cutting hierarchies, the algorithm for choosing which rule is used is the following: (a) use the OIR for your specific object type in the specific context where your object is located; (b) use the OIR for an ancestor type in the same context; (c) repeat a and b by moving up in the context hierarchy until you get at the top (called Site) level.

The error you're mentioning happens when: (1) no OIR is found during this walk; (2) the first OIR found has auto-numbering disabled

Alessio Marchetti
PTC.com <">http://www.ptc.com>

Please contact your server administrator."

We do need EPMDefaultDocuments (CAD/Pro-E) files to be manually numbered... and probably some (future) Dynamic Documents as these numbers come from ERP System. I realize this is probasbly more of a Windchill issue, but I'm trying my luck here. I am aware of ...

kpritchard
4-Participant

Hi All,

As an update I have been able to resolve this issue with much help from the PTC Tech Support Team (Amit rocks!). It turned out to be the cross-cutting "walk" described. I had convinced myself that I was doing the right things and setting OIR's at the Org level but it turns out I was doing so at the Site level. Root cause was an "ancestor" EPMDocument Rule with auto numbering disabled at the Org level (which was found first, and used). Obvious now, but I couldn't see it for looking at the time despite guidance provided here.

Top Tags