cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

EXTERNAL: Problems with footers going from Editor 5.4 to 6.1

jmaxwell
1-Newbie

EXTERNAL: Problems with footers going from Editor 5.4 to 6.1

Thanks, Ed. We are using the FOSI. I've attached the code for the chapter.
This is the code that is working fine in 5.4 but not in 6.1.

1 REPLY 1

Hi Jeff,

The footer code mixes algroup with negative postspace. This is non-standard coding, and I don't think there is any way to tweak it to make it work in 6.1.

A more stable approach would be to eliminate the negative postspace, which doesn't appear to be working in 6.1, and just use algroup. Code putgraph in one column and text in the other column. I have attached the section from my book on algroup.

Note that if the same footer is needed in multiple models, you can use a text entity so you only have to code it once. I have attached an example from my book.

I noticed that ruling rullen=col, which means the rule will extend the width of the column, without honoring any indents. Since algroup requires indents to define separate, non-overlapping columns, rullen=text is needed to honor the indent. Or a specific length could be specified.

BTW: Kern-to (for example, @12 pi) can be used instead of spacefill to exactly position "North America" and "draft."
I would start with the verso page, and code the text column first. Put the formatting for each line in its formatting pseudo-element.When the text is correctly positioned horizontally and vertically, code the putgraph (vertical offset may be needed, but that should be straightforward when the text is in place).

Here is some pseudo-code to get you started:

versopg
<footer>
usetext source=
<footer-line1.fmt>,bookname-g.txt[BO]</footer-line1.fmt>,
<footer-line2.fmt>,</footer-line2.fmt>,
<footer-line3.fmt>,@??,zone.txt[BO],@???,arrw.txt[BO],</footer-line3.fmt>
subchars
indent inherit=1 firstln=*leftind=0ptrifhtind=*+Xquaddinginherit=1 quad=left
algroup refpoint=top

putgraph graphname="t-sys.gif" placemnt="after" hscale="75" vscale="75"voffset=??

subcharsindent inherit=1 firstln=* leftind=X rightind=0pt
quaddinginherit=1quad=right
algroup refpoint=top
e-i-c gi=footer-line1.fmt

charlist inherit=1
textbrk startln=1 endln=1
e-i-c gi=footer-line2.fmtcharlist inherit=1
ruling rellen=text
leading inherit=1 lead=6pt

e-i-c gi=footer-line3.fmt

charlist inherit=1

A gentable could be used instead of algroup, but that is not best practice because flowing text formats faster than tables. A gentable on each page would make each page format a little more slowly.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Suzanne Napoleon
www.FOSIexpert.com
"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

Top Tags