cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Editor JVM usage

ptc-4700154
1-Newbie

Editor JVM usage

I'm hoping someone can help me understand some changes in Arbortext 6.0. We updgraded from 5.3 to 6 and despite my efforts to track all the things that got updated, there are some changes that I cannot make sense of. Right now I'm trying to understand the JVM usage of the editor.

without any customizations (renamed our custom folder to OLDcustom), when you start Arbortext editor, you get at least 3 processes started:

1. editor.exe
  2. java.exe
  3. javaw.exe

in Arbortext 5.3, you only got an epic.exe started.

I did some reading and found that the editor will except a commandline argurment "-nojvm" which, according to the admin guide, "Does not initialize the embedded Java Virtual Machine (JVM) when Arbortext Editor starts"

However, using this option appeared to have no effect. Am I missing something? Does arbortext editor need to spawn two JVMs? What are each used for?

My concern stems from resources. Our server that hosts many users running the editor at once and was running low on memory and we saw many instances of java and javaw's.

I'd be greatful if anyone has any insite into this issue.

Thanks,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Of course, I fiddled with this for a few days and made no progress, but as soon as I posted the question here, then I found the answer on my own within a few minutes.

Both the java.exe and the javaw.exe that are launched with the editor are part of the new help system. Starting the editor with the command line option -nohc will not start the two JVMs for the help system until the user actually clicks on the help menu items.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Of course, I fiddled with this for a few days and made no progress, but as soon as I posted the question here, then I found the answer on my own within a few minutes.

Both the java.exe and the javaw.exe that are launched with the editor are part of the new help system. Starting the editor with the command line option -nohc will not start the two JVMs for the help system until the user actually clicks on the help menu items.

Top Tags