cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Graphics display in Styler output but not in PE output

RoyGamble
1-Newbie

Graphics display in Styler output but not in PE output

Hi All!

I'm a newbie here and fairly new to the dark underbelly of structured authoring. I've been using Editor/PE/CPA for almost 5 years and have been working with the e-learning modules for several months. All of which leads to:

I've been working on a custom doctype for a supplement publication management wants. Everything is great so far except for one thing. Graphics in a document display properly on output using Styler's print preview and compose buttons, but not when using Editor's print preview and compose features. Our PE installation lives on a server with our CPA installation.

All graphics live in a folder at the same directory level as their associated document file. We're running Editor/PE 5.4 M030.

Thanks for any help!!

10 REPLIES 10

Do you have composers initialized in your DCF file? Are you getting any kind of error back from PE when you compose?

No errors coming back from PE. In the instance I'm working on the graphic is inside a <figure> tag, and PE sees that and marks the title with the autogenned "Fig. 1".

DCF file has compose set up for pdf and html, no config file.

It sounds like there could be a mismatch between the Styler and PE versions of the customisation. Have you tried running the job on PE Interactive to see if the graphics work in that case too?

Gareth Oakes
Chief Architect, GPSL

Hi Gareth,

I have the same problem trying to print preview or compose using PE interactive. I built the custom doctype on my computer and then installed into the custom folder of the PTC directory on the server that houses PE. So the stylesheets should be identical.

If I open a test document in Styler, I can click the print preview or compose button in the Styler dialog and the output is correct. If I print preview or compose the same document using the buttons in Editor, the illustration does not show up in the output.

I was looking through a document instance that uses a PTC created doctype (we use CPA). In that document instance under Entities > Notations, the various graphic types are listed (tiff, eps, etc.). The DTD column is checked in this document instance. It is not in my custom doctype ( obviously I haven't coded the DTD for this). Could this be the problem? Does PE need to have these "notations" of graphic types declared in the DTD to properly "see" them?

I hope the above wasn't too convoluted of a question!

Roy Gamble

Perhaps I coded the graphic declaration incorrectly in the DTD. My DTD declarations are as follows:

I was wrong earlier: there is an error when previewing/composing. It's as follows:

Error: The graphics file C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp\activeTransactions\rq_33672\source\Graphics\SKYLink
Electrical Power Panel.tif could not be opened. (page 4)

Not sure why PE is looking for this graphic in the Tomcat directory. Thanks for any ideas!

Roy Gamble

Long shot.

Do you know whether your network (between Editor and PE) has significant
amounts of latency? We ran into a problem that was resolved by changing
Tomcat's connector configuration. This is the explanation for the
config/setting:

> Setting disableUploadTimeout="false" has resolved the problem. Whoo hoo!
Thanks, PTC Support.

> I still maintain even after careful and repeated reading of the Tomcatdocumentation that changing
> the setting from the default "true" to "false" seems counter-intuitive as
far as creating a connection
> to...

The transaction folder is used for storage of all input files during server side processing. Otherwise how does PE locate the images.

BTW I like Paul's suggestion!

-Gareth

Roy Gamble <rgamble@arinc.com> wrote:

I was wrong earlier: there is an error when previewing/composing. It's as follows:

Error: The graphics file C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp\activeTransactions\rq_33672\source\Graphics\SKYLink
Electrical Power Panel.tif could not be opened. (page 4)

Not sure why PE is looking for this graphic in the Tomcat directory. Thanks for any ideas!

Roy Gamble

-----End Original Message-----

Okay, so the problem seems to be that PE isn't able to "see" the graphics files. In our setup document files and their associated graphics live on one of the network drives.

If I have a document (custom doctype) and it's associated graphics in one directory (folder), PE "sees" the graphics and output is correct.

If I have a document in one directory (folder) and it's associated graphics in a sub-directory (folder), PE apparently is not able to "see" the graphics. Doesn't PE automatically look in any subfolders in the same directory as the document for graphics? I guess not.

I need to create an instance.acl file to stick in the custom directory to force PE to look in the subdirectory. I guess "append_graphics_path". Not sure how the syntax should go . Will continue wrestling with it!!

Roy

I don't know about PE, but the last place that Editor/Print Composer looks for graphics is the folder containing the XML/SGML file which references the graphic. This is regardless of the graphics path or value of the APTGRPATH environment variable.
Top Tags