cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Is an inch always an inch?

anne.bovard
1-Newbie

Is an inch always an inch?

Hi Adepters,

If margins in a page set are set to 1" right and left, what could cause the output to behave differently? The left margin is less than an inch and the right margin displays as more than an inch.

We're using a table to build a front cover with these right and left 1"margins. The margins are just the beginning of a whole host of very specific measurements that are wacky in the output. i.e., we need a column that is 4.4", and have to set it in Styler to 4.62" to have it print correctly. The 'conversion' doesn't appear to be consistent.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

Best,

Anne

7 REPLIES 7

Where are you determining the output margin width? Are you measuring this on-screen using Preview, or are you printing a sample page and checking the physical page? If you are checking on-screen, it may simply be a display issue. If you are checking a physical printed page, it may be that your printer is not registering the paper correctly before printing the image of the page. (This is adjustable on most laser printers.)

Does the sum of the page's regions across the page equal the stated page width (8.5" for example)? If the sum of the region widths doesn't match the stated page width, things may move around unpredictably.

Cheers,

David

David S. Taylor

Project Manager, Structured Information
Institute for Research in Construction
National Research Council Canada
Bldg. M-23A, Room 239
1200 Montreal Road, Ottawa, ON K1A 0R6

Are you factoring in the table cell margins?

Suzanne Napoleon
"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"
www.FOSIexpert.com

BTW: An inch in Arbortext Editor is 72.27 points.

Suzanne

More information about units of measurement in Arbortext Editor is available in a PDF file (excerpt from my book in progress Essential FOSI) at

Hi David, Suzanne,

Thanks so much for your responses. I'm sorry too that this reply is tardy- I thought I registered a response.

In the end it appears our problem was with Print settings- arg! There was default page scaling setting, 'fit to printable area.' Upon removal of this setting, all is as one would expect.

Kind regards,

Anne

Glad you were able to resolve the problem, thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,

David

"In the end it appears our problem was with Print settings- arg! There was default page scaling setting, 'fit to printable area.' Upon removal of this setting, all is as one would expect."
Well, at least the printer was plugged in. Another troubleshooting tip to add to the list and then forget before the next time 😉

John T. Jarrett CDT
Sr. Tech Writer, Tech Pubs, ILS, Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

T 832.673.2147 | ext 1147 | -<">mailto:->
BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
www.baesystems.com
Top Tags