cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

PDF links

Bobbert
6-Contributor

PDF links

Hi,

I can't produce PDF links in PDFs generated by File > Publish > PDF File in Arbortext 7.1.  I dug through the config files and found this in C:\Program Files\PTC\Arbortext Editor\doctypes\pdfconfig\pdfconfig.dtd:

The Annotations section allows you to turn off PDF features that
aren't relevant for printing, such as bookmarks and links. This
could speed up processing, and is required for PDF/X.

<!ELEMENT Annotations EMPTY >
<!ATTLIST Annotations
          enabled         %yesno; #IMPLIED
          nameddestToPage %yesno; #IMPLIED
>

Is this where I can configure AT to generate PDF links?

Thanks,

Bob

5 REPLIES 5

That file is the DTD (allowable tag definitions) for the .pdfcf file. What you need to do is edit the .pdfcf file for your doctype if you wish to adjust those settings. I have no idea if PDF links are on or off in the shipped product or your doctype, but I guess you could check that as a first step.

Bobbert
6-Contributor
(To:GarethOakes)

If I changed

enabled               %yesno;         #IMPLIED

to

enabled               %yesno;         "yes"

Should that add link creation to the PDF processing?

Thanks,

Bob

No, that's not the way to do it. Basically you have to make sure a few things are setup correctly:

1. Your doctype schema supports a link element
  2. The link element is marked as such in the DCF and/or stylesheets associated with this schema
  3. The sample you are working on is using the link element correctly
  4. The PDFCF or whatever PDF configuration is in effect (FOSI vs APP) is enabling links

You can try with the out-of-the-box DITA or Docbook samples to make sure links are working in that case, then work your way through the chain of things above to make sure you are able to get yours setup too.

Bobbert
6-Contributor
(To:GarethOakes)

Thanks for this information.  To follow your process:

1. Your doctype schema supports a link element  [This seems to be true.  The DTD includes the line <!ENTITY % linkref "xref | extref | link">]
  2. The link element is marked as such in the DCF and/or stylesheets associated with this schema [The stylesheet to which the PDF publishing process points (an xsl file) includes several sections of code that begin <xsl:template match="xref"]
  3. The sample you are working on is using the link element correctly [The code that I've been quoting has been derived from the DTD for the PDF configuration file to which the PDF publishing process points (the standard.pdfcf file from the base install of Arbortext).]
  4. The PDFCF or whatever PDF configuration is in effect (FOSI vs APP) is enabling links [I looked through the pdfcf file to see what might enable links, but the only configurable text seemed to be in the DTD file for that pdfcf file (pdfconfig.dtd).]

Bob

Hi, from what I can tell we use the default PDF config file and our cross reference links (see page 76 - click on it and go to page 76) all work as does the references in the table of contents.

Top Tags