cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Problem with read-only region in AE 5.4

ptc-953926
1-Newbie

Problem with read-only region in AE 5.4

Adepters:

We're updating all of our authors to Arbortext Editor 5.4 and have had a problem reported that can be consistently reproduced. We use text entities extensively and have found that if you inser a text entity in a paragraph and then move the cursor to the right, you can no longer use the return key to list the elements valid at that point. Instead, the status bar shows the message "Cannot insert tags at cursor, because the region is protected or read-only." However, you can insert tags using the menus or control sequences - and you can also insert normal text. Clearly the region is not read-only, but appears to be when you use the "hit return" interface to list available tags.

Anyone seen this? Anyone know of a solution? Or, is it time to open a case with PTC?

Dave
7 REPLIES 7

Are the text entity files themselves read-only? That might have something to do with this. Not a solution, but maybe an explanation that could be used by PTC to fix this. What happens if you make one of the text entity files "writeable" and use it to try to duplicate this issue?

Yes, the text entity files are writable. Not sure why that would matter, however, since AE is just inserting a text entity reference at some point. It's the same error you'd get if you tried to enter text in the middle of a text entity reference. So, it seems that the editor ignores the closing of the text entity reference until the next existing markup begins. But, that locks the author out from using the Return key to display elements to enter.

Dave
Alessio
15-Moonstone
(To:ptc-953926)

It rings a bell. Is there maybe a TAN or an SPR describing it? I cannot check this week.

Not from us there isn’t. It would be nice to know if this has already been reported, however.
Alessio
15-Moonstone
(To:ptc-953926)

David, I meant: since it rings a bell to me there might be an SPR or TAN already which you can search on ptc.com/support. What I cannot check this week is if there is an SPR/TAN already (no http access) but I'm (pretty) sure I've seen (and reported) already the issue you are experiencing.

Paul,

Thanks for your response. I've determined that you're right -- our CMS custom tools for the editor are causing the problem. When I disable those calls in the startup files, the problem goes away. So, we've opened a call with the CMS vendor.

Dave
Announcements