cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Reload Graphic Viewer

pa_docent
1-Newbie

Reload Graphic Viewer

I edit graphics after inserting JPGs in Arbortext documents. When I reload the modified graphic, I always get an annoying viewer which I have to close before being asked to insert and seeing the new graphic. Is ther a way to shut off this automatic viewer?

I checked Advanced Preferences but did not find the option. Is there a command line option? I use Arbortext 5.3.

Thanks - Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is not "Arbortext Viewer", this is the application associated with the extension in Windows. In your case, "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" opens. This is what happens when you double click the graphic. It is supposed to work the following way: when you double click, the graphic opens in the associated software, you then edit it there, save and close the software. After this, when switching to Editor, you see the "Reload Graphic" window, click "Yes" and you see the just edited graphic.

To be honest, I don't think it's the most convenient way - people do not edit illustrations this way and most people anyways have just viewers associated with .jpg and other formats.

In your case, when just need to reload graphics, you do it 1) using View -> Reload Graphics menu or 2) executing 'reloadgraphic' command in the command line (just type "reloadgraphic" without quotes in the Arbortext command line. Make sure it's enabled in Tools->Preferences->Window-Command Line). This way the graphic will be reloaded and no associatied additional windows/application will appear/run.

You can also add a button to the toolbar, but this requires a bit of customization.

Also, do you really need to reload graphics "many times during a work day"?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

"When I reload the modified graphic, I always get an annoying viewer" - are you getting the "annoying viewer" when clicking View -> Reload Graphic?

To make things clear, could you attach a screenshot?

I am attaching graphics as requested. This is what I do to recreate this issue:

1. place my mouse cursor after the <graphic boardno> and double click the left mouse button.

2. The Arbortext Editor Response GUI appears and at the same time an Arbortext Viewer GUI appears (can be different viewers depending on the extension of the graphic).

3. Click the X in the Arbortext Viewer GUI to close window.

4. Click OK in the Arbortext Editor Response GUI to reload the editied graphic and close the GUI.

I perform this procedure many times during a normal work day. I want to stop the Arbortext Viewer from appearing.

This is not "Arbortext Viewer", this is the application associated with the extension in Windows. In your case, "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" opens. This is what happens when you double click the graphic. It is supposed to work the following way: when you double click, the graphic opens in the associated software, you then edit it there, save and close the software. After this, when switching to Editor, you see the "Reload Graphic" window, click "Yes" and you see the just edited graphic.

To be honest, I don't think it's the most convenient way - people do not edit illustrations this way and most people anyways have just viewers associated with .jpg and other formats.

In your case, when just need to reload graphics, you do it 1) using View -> Reload Graphics menu or 2) executing 'reloadgraphic' command in the command line (just type "reloadgraphic" without quotes in the Arbortext command line. Make sure it's enabled in Tools->Preferences->Window-Command Line). This way the graphic will be reloaded and no associatied additional windows/application will appear/run.

You can also add a button to the toolbar, but this requires a bit of customization.

Also, do you really need to reload graphics "many times during a work day"?

Thanks for the quick response!

I have to take screen shots on a Linux computer and copy those graphics to my Windows laptop. I find it easier to incorporate my graphics while writing the document (the graphics are place holders). I edit the graphics as I proofread my multi-page document (can be up to 300+ pages). Call outs are scattered throughout the document and it is easier on me (in a paperless office) to edit the graphic several times on the laptop instead of printing out a copy and marking it up while I proofread the document, especially when I work with so many graphics in one document.

Top Tags