cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Rev bars on a Revision

KathleenReisler
1-Newbie

Rev bars on a Revision

I processed a job as a Revision and it came out with rev bars. How do I get rid of them?

7 REPLIES 7

Note: Per TOs 00-5-1 and 00-5-3, Rev Bars are required on military revisions for any technical changes,

To remove them remove whatever is causing them to appear. To help more, you need to specify what kind of software you are using. Mine are generated by a FOSI which I have set up to only show rev bars that are applicable to the current issue. If you are using XLST, style sheets, built-in revision tracking, or some other method I can't help, but someone else may be able to.

-Andy
\ / Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
_____-/\-_____ (817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
\_\/_/ (817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916

Change bars should only appear on change pages. When you create a revision, all of the dot pages, dot paragraphs and change bars get rolled into the new document which is now rebaselined.

Kathleen,

That can be true, unless you are preparing revisions for the US military. When asking the question you didn't specify what king of manual you were changing or what kind of software you are using. I do not want to argue; I was asking for information on your target requirements and what kind of software (and Stylesheet) you are using.

For military revisions administrative changes (dot pages, dot, dot objects, enumeration changes, grammatical changes, and previous changes) are all nulled out and change bars are only displayed for technical changes that occur within the revision. For example, look at the change marks in the newest revision of TO 00-5-1. It has change bars on technical changes.

Excerpt from TO 00-5-1, newest revision, dated: 1 May 2011 (highlighting mine) (you should be able to find a copy if you want it, it is marked as: Distribution Statement A - Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited).

2.16.2 Change Page Marking. The applicable change numbers are reflected next to the page number on each of the changed pages. Whenever feasible, change markings (e.g., vertical black lines in page border, light grey shading, underlining, etc.) will indicate where new text changes occur in an update or revision. <snip> (see screen shot below):
[cid:image001.png@01CC3633.C9157380]

In addition to these written requirements there may be addition requirements from the "procuring agency" such as the agency controlling my TOs does not want a change number next to the page number on revisions (because the revision does not have a number assigned).

Hope this helps,
-Andy
\ / Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
_____-/\-_____ (817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
\_\/_/ (817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916

Kathy,

WELL FARE CHECK.

Make sure that all your change tags and change attributes in your file are removed. The style sheet reacts to those settings and marks the pages accordingly.

Lynn

---- "Reisler wrote:
> Change bars should only appear on change pages. When you create a revision, all of the dot pages, dot paragraphs and change bars get rolled into the new document which is now rebaselined.
>

Andy,

The Army does not require change marks on revisions. So it would depend on which service Kathy is doing her work for as to whether 00-5-1 or 00-5-3 apply.

Lynn

---- "Esslinger wrote:
> Note: Per TOs 00-5-1 and 00-5-3, Rev Bars are required on military revisions for any technical changes,
>
> To remove them remove whatever is causing them to appear. To help more, you need to specify what kind of software you are using. Mine are generated by a FOSI which I have set up to only show rev bars that are applicable to the current issue. If you are using XLST, style sheets, built-in revision tracking, or some other method I can't help, but someone else may be able to.
>
> -Andy
> \ / Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
> _____-/\-_____ (817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
> \_\/_/ (817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916
>

The Change Page for Defense help lists what happens for each type of Revision.
You will find that there is a Complete Revision and an Official Revision. The
Complete Revision does not contain any change bars. The Official Revision allows
changes to be marked for that revision and that is probably why you are seeing
change bars.

I looked at the help in 5.4, so it may have changed in a later release, but use
the Change Page for Defense Help and search for Revision. You will find both
topics in the results.

Trudy

Kathleen,

Without getting too deep, the bottom line is that there are two different types of output with CP for Defense besides the "Change Package." One is the Revision, the other (what you're trying to get) is a Baseline. Trudy hit on it with her response.

Here are the basic steps:

1. Create your original baseline.

2. Set up for a Change Package.

3. 'Create Change Package,' or 'Initiate an Official Revision.' Either of these two will create a package with change bars depicting the differences between the current version of the document and what it was after the last 'Original Baseline' or the last 'Change Package.'

4. And then there is the 'Finalize Official Revision,' which is what you want. It will produce a NEW baseline without any change bars.

You can skip over the 'Initiate an Official Revision' and go to the 'Finalize Official Revision' if there's no reason to have the Revision with change bars version.

Another way to say it is that the 'Initiate an Official Revision' equates to "Revision with Change Bars" and 'Finalize Official Revision' equates to "Baseline" (and no change bars).

Hope this helps,

Bob

Top Tags