cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Running header help

ebheadrick
1-Newbie

Running header help

Hi all,

I am getting down to the wire on this manual and still have a few things not figured out that I am sure somebody could help me with.

I need the running header to be able to wrap text but kind of have two columns, so sounds like an alignment group to me. but something is just not working. Do I need to use pseudo tags around my text, instead of just on the usetext? Or do I have the algroup not used correctly?

<header nomdepth="10mm" spaflow="2mm">
<usetext source="RH.verso.outside.txt[TO]">
<subchars charsubsetref="left" bold=" font_helvetica=" block&quot;=">
<indent leftind="0" rightind="159mm" firstln="0"/">
<algroup refpoint="bottom">
</subchars>
</usetext>
<usetext source="RH.verso.inside.txt[TO]">
<subchars charsubsetref="right" bold=" font_helvetica=" block&quot;=">
<indent leftind="20mm" rightind="0" firstln="0"/">
</subchars>
</usetext>
<ruling thick="1pt" lentype="rel" rellen="col" type="single">
<leading lead="2pt">
<textbrk startln="1" endln="1">
</ruling>
</header>

Thanks,

Ellen

5 REPLIES 5

For starters, I'd try adding the textbrk to both usetexts in the algroup.

<textbrk startln="1" endln="1">

See if that gets you anywhere.
Trudy

It looks like she is using a charsubsetref named "block" which usually has that textbrk in it.

I don't know how wide your page flowtext area is in millimeters, but are you sure that a 20mm left indent is far enough to the right to be past the 159mm right indent? Don't forget you need a little bit of a "gutter" in there.

On a 8.5 inch page with half-inch margins you would have 7.5 inches of width, which is approx. 190mm. 190 -159=31mm. That looks like 20 mm would not be enough of an indent. Like I said, I don't know how wide your page really is, so it's difficult to figure.

So if the space isn't big enough it doesn't wrap correctly or if the gutter isn't enough? I will play with those number again to see if I can get something to work.

Thanks,
Ellen

The left indent on the second usetext needs to put the beginning of that text to the right of the ending (right indent) of the first usetext. You need to allow for a little bit of a gutter, at least for aesthetic purposes.
In my previous example, using a left indent for the second usetext of 41mm would give you a virtual "gutter", or gap between the two usetexts, of 10mm.
Top Tags