cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Size of value string block exceeds maximum capacity of 524280 bytes.

DebraCarlin
1-Newbie

Size of value string block exceeds maximum capacity of 524280 bytes.

I am adding a large amount of entitity declarations and referencing them from a DTD. The compile fails with

"Size of value string block exceeds maximum capacity of 524280 bytes.

Document type definition is too complex

Compile failed - rc=64"

Just what capacity does this error refer to? I have tried various settings in the SGML Declaration, but the 524280 byte limit in the error message never changes. Is this an internal Arbortext limitation?

In the past, we have simply upped various capacity values in the SGML Declaration and got the desired result. But I can't see how to make this limit budge.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Debra Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks, Jerry. I have discovered that 524280 is a hard limit for the total string block capacity. In other words, we

need to get our entities out of the DTD and into the SGML. so that the compile is not an issue.

Regards,

Debra Lee Carlin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Debra Lee,

Please take a look at this TPI that addresses this specific issue:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=133402

Regards,

Jerry Tippie

Thanks, Jerry. I have discovered that 524280 is a hard limit for the total string block capacity. In other words, we

need to get our entities out of the DTD and into the SGML. so that the compile is not an issue.

Regards,

Debra Lee Carlin

This is one of the many reasons why we switched from SGML to XML DTDs several years ago. Compile is not an issue.

Converting DTDs can be a PITA, especially if you have a lot of SGML excpetions to figure out what to do with.

Though it is a work around, I personally don't like the insert the ENTITIES into each instance. If any content changes in the ENTITY you have to fixe every file.

Consider converting to XML DTD or schema. Or push your customer to do so.

Thanks, Lynn. Unfortunately, we are locked into MILSPEC SGML DTDs. Otherwise, I would have gone XML over a decade ago.

Top Tags