cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Variable Heading using Generated Text

LisaSavory
4-Participant

Variable Heading using Generated Text

I am using the latest version of Styler and having an issue creating a variable header. I have a manual that has multiple sections each with it's own title. I need to display the section title in both of the left and right headers of the body pageset. The problem I am having is how to get the current section title to display for just that section. The next section needs to display it's related title and so on. I have been trying straight XPath, XPath with conditions /manual//section[1]/title, both with and without ufe's. Can anyone please tell me if I this is possible or if there is some other method I should try? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy! It seems like it should be somewhat simple.

4 REPLIES 4
LisaSavory
4-Participant
(To:LisaSavory)

Hello All. I was able to get this to work by defining my sections as Level 1 Divisions and using the division title in the header.

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:LisaSavory)

Hi @LisaSavory.

Please advise the product you are using so we can move this post to the correct forum.

Regards.

--Sharon

Arbortext.

Your solution is correct. Using XPath won't give what you want as the XPath resolves in the scope of the entire document, not just what is on the current page. The "DivisionReference" generated text item is intended to allow headers to dynamically update according to the headers that are currently in effect. The technical name for this feature is "running header" which you may find if you search further in the documentation.

Top Tags