cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

View PTC Live Global 2014 Session Info & Register

jsillari
1-Newbie

View PTC Live Global 2014 Session Info & Register

Please see the highlighted note at the bottom of Margi’s email blast. This note does not appear on the event web site.

John Sillari
37 REPLIES 37

We've finally given up on the conference. I will not attending. I must
admit, I was kind of looking forward to Boston ... 😕

Thanks for sharing, John.

The note IS included as a footnote in today's email about Save $100 on PTC Live Global 2014, which says:"PTC Creo or PTC Windchill users* (or the managers of those teams) are encouraged to attend to gain new time-saving tips and best practices from your peers, hear about upcoming product enhancements, and make new connections in the PTC customer community." [*Please note that PTC is not offering any Arbortext or other service topics at PTC Live Global 2014. PTC continues to investigate new avenues to support that growing user community and encourages Arbortext customers to participate in the onlineArbortext Communityin the short term.]

Frankly, it is difficult not to think that the line about"continuing to investigate new avenues" is just another way of sayingwe still aren't important enough to have a user conference.

One positive is they say the Arbortext user community is growing. Maybe that will help.

Suzanne Napoleon
www.FOSIexpert.com
"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

Ah... I fondly remember AUGI 2004. Those were the days, were they not? I went to my first PTC conference in 2006 in Long Beach. Even though I was an employee, it was nothing like the AUGI.

Oh well... I will continue to watch ADEPTers and use the software I love. Hang in there fellow-ADEPTers. It's still a terriffic software suite.

Bob

I agree, Suzanne. That little “continuing to investigate” paragraph is just PR pabulum for those who also think that Arbortext is a peripheral concern.

The last AUGI that I attended at Disney World in Florida (2004 I think?) had over 2000 attendees. How much bigger does the Arbortext community have to be in order for PTC to pay attention to us?

Suzanne,

I agree with you. This is at least the second year that PTC has opted NOT to include any Arbortext related topics and they are continuing to ‘investigate’. Yeah really. Oh well, I sent an email to the address in the message asking to be removed from their conference notification until they put Arbortext BACK on the agenda.

Liz Fraley posted on her Single-Sourcing Solutions Face book page that she is looking into starting up an independent AUGI. I support her effort and if size results are not too big, I’d be willing to check with some of the ‘resorts’ in Williamsburg to see what they’d charge.

To paraphrase a title from an old Johnny Paycheck song, PTC you can “Take Your Conference and ***** It”. Darn I’m getting to be feisty in my old(er) age. 😄

Lynn

That was 2005, and come to think of it, it did get a bit rowdy with the
sales guys up in the Arbortext executive suite... the following year was
the first with PTC in Texas, and was the last one I attended.

- keith

In Reply to Ed Benton:

The last AUGI that I attended at Disney World in Florida (2004 I think?) had over 2000 attendees. How much bigger does the Arbortext community have to be in order for PTC to pay attention to us?
lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:jsillari)

I created a Meetup Group. If we want this to happen, we will have to hit
critical mass for attendees otherwise the costs are prohibitive. If you
think you'd come to an Arbortext event, join the Meetup Group and find
other like-minded individuals who are in your network.

Either way we'll find out the truth about community numbers and real
interest.

lfraley
6-Contributor

Looks like PTC is correct in removing Arbortext content: I can report only
15 people showing interested in going to an Arbortext event. That's not
enough to run a conference or even a track.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Liz Fraley
<liz.fraley@single-sourcing.com>wrote:

>
> I created a Meetup Group. If we want this to happen, we will have to hit
> critical mass for attendees otherwise the costs are prohibitive. If you
> think you'd come to an Arbortext event, join the Meetup Group and find
> other like-minded individuals who are in your network.
>
> Either way we'll find out the truth about community numbers and real
> interest.
>
>

Liz,

It's possible I am the only one who feels this way, but:

1) I'm reluctant to join another group (meetup group)

2) I'd like more details on what the Arbortext event would be (how long, how much, where, would there be PTC Arbortext people there a la previous AUGIs) before I signaled interest.
It *could* mean more people are interested, they are just less apt to join a group to signal interest. Also, is your whole intended audience on adepters? There could be potential participants who needed to be contacted in another way.

Don't give up hope!

Lisa Gillispie

Liz,
Again, I don't think it is lack of interest so much as lack of funds, lack of information, and so on. I have to create a business case for any conference/event I want to attend. Without this type of information joining the group would do me little good as I would not be able to participate.
Sindy

I'm interested in an Arbortext event, but hadn't joined the Meetup group yet.

Nancy Butler

Same for me. I had trouble getting approval for the PTC conference which included other products. A focused session has its benefits but is harder to justify.

~Trevor Hendricks

On Feb 6, 2014, at 9:12 AM, "Young, Sindy R" <sindy.r.young@boeing.com<<a style="COLOR:" blue;=" text-decoration:=" underline&quot;=" target="_BLANK" href="mailto:sindy.r.young@boeing.com">>">mailto:sindy.r.young@boeing.com>> wrote:

Liz,
Again, I don’t think it is lack of interest so much as lack of funds, lack of information, and so on. I have to create a business case for any conference/event I want to attend. Without this type of information joining the group would do me little good as I would not be able to participate.
Sindy

Hello everyone,
I am not sure what a meet up group is, but please count me in as one of the people that would be very interested. I had my companies backing to go to the PTC Live Global 2013 conference, but then declined when I realized it did not include Arbortext.

I would like to second what Lisa wrote below, particularly point number two. My company is very invested in Arbortext and has been customizing it for our large population of editorial staff for many years. It would be extremely helpful to meet and exchange ideas with other Adepters in an organized forum. It would be even more helpful if PTC would take the lead on this and provide technical support staff to take our input, provide some advance training sessions, and host some discussions on what is coming down the pipeline that we need to start getting ready for.

Count me in also. Not sure how to sign up for the meet up group but I along with a few of my colleagues would definitely attend any Arbortext training or information session. My company has been pushing me to go to the PTC conference but they no longer contain Arbortext.
Thank you,

Julette Blackmon
Electronic Publishing Technical Analyst
National Council on
Compensation Insurance

How do you sign up for the Meetup Group? Couldn't find a location.
lfraley
6-Contributor

Hi Lisa,

I haven't proposed anything -- no event, no date, no location -- just
asking for interest. So, frankly, your answer qualifies as a no: You do not
have enough interest to even register interest.

Sindy:

Same thing: I haven't proposed anything at all. I'm simply asking if anyone
is truly interested.

Liz

Liz,
Point taken.
As for interest, Yes I am interested.
Sindy
lfraley
6-Contributor

Thomas:

Meetup is an website that organizes user-driven activities:
lfraley
6-Contributor

Hi Sindy,

Please join the meetup group. That's where I'm recording interest. Meetup
gives absolute statistical numbers that can be used to justify effort and
organize activities.

Thanks,
Liz

Already did.
lfraley
6-Contributor

Thank you Sindy!

Thank you, all signed up.

Hi Liz--

I appreciate how you are trying to get the ball rolling on this. However, I think we need to be careful about judging how much interest there is in a potential new conference based on the number of people who are willing to sign up for Yet Another Social Media list with no details whatsoever to go on.

I certainly understand that no one has gotten any plans in place, so there aren't any details to give at this point. But keep in mind that the lack of specifics is going to discourage some people from chiming in, people who might be very eager to participate if they knew what they would be getting.

Maybe a better approach would be to have a discussion about "what would it take to get people to come to a meeting"? The discussion could be informal, on this list, or could be formalized through a survey or something similar. But, if we can develop a manageable list of things that would be in high demand at such a meeting, and then include that in the proposal/planning, you might see a lot more excitement and commitment.

To get the discussion started, my wish list for an independent Arbortext conference would include the following, at a minimum:

1) Some kind of PTC representation, even if it's just one or two people, to give a roadmap-type presentation on what's new and what's coming in the pipeline for Arbortext products. Even if the conference had to pay for their travel to get them there, I think it would be worthwhile.

2) Lots of technical content, tutorials, how-tos, etc. Things like:

a. ACL programming

b. Stylesheet development (FOSI and Styler)

c. ACM/Windchill integration

d. Publishing Engine configuration

e. Legacy data migration

3) Time and infrastructure for networking, even if it's just a designated happy hour at the hotel bar with some cheesy ice-breaker games to get people chatting with each other.

--Clay
lfraley
6-Contributor

Hi Clay,

I understand, but having that discussion here: a very limited venue doesn't
achieve the goal. "Yet another Media Channel" isn't really a giant
obstacle: if it were important enough, you'd join, just like we all join
hundreds of websites and social channels every day if we're interested
enough.

I'm trying to organize a group where it's open, available and dedicated to
discussions of holding Arbortext-User Organized events. This list isn't the
center -- no where is. That's part of the problem.

I understand your position, but either it's worth it or it's not.

Liz

Clay,
To my mind you have hit the nail on the head. A conference which could cover the items you list would definitely be of interest to myself and justify the long haul travel.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

lfraley
6-Contributor

Also: Discussions of what it should be are premature at this point. If
there isn't enough interest to have an event, why spend all the energy
planning what should be a part of it?

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Liz Fraley
<liz.fraley@single-sourcing.com>wrote:

> Hi Clay,
>
> I understand, but having that discussion here: a very limited venue
> doesn't achieve the goal. "Yet another Media Channel" isn't really a giant
> obstacle: if it were important enough, you'd join, just like we all join
> hundreds of websites and social channels every day if we're interested
> enough.
>
> I'm trying to organize a group where it's open, available and dedicated to
> discussions of holding Arbortext-User Organized events. This list isn't the
> center -- no where is. That's part of the problem.
>
> I understand your position, but either it's worth it or it's not.
>
> Liz
>
>
>
>
>

A low cost virtual point which had tutorials and expert advice etc would be a good starting point. This list certainly covers parts of that, but there are gaps

Sent from Samsung Mobile

I know I would certainly be interested in stylesheet development for styler beyond the basic, ACL programming, and a road map presentation from PTC. With these types of events I could make a business case to attend a conference.

PTC had the tendency to limit it tutorials/training to entry level or all about Windchill.
There were some good presentations put on by other adepters (Clay and Liz) just to name a couple but they were limited on time.
Sindy
Top Tags