cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Weird spaces and cursor placement

azibuck
5-Regular Member

Weird spaces and cursor placement

In Arbortext, I've got an odd problem I can't find a solution to. Working in XML, there appear to be spaces after the period in the last sentence of a para. But there are no spaces in the xml. If I put my cursor just after the period and hit backspace, it doesn't delete the period, but instead several characters before that. See screen shots -- instead of deleting the period it deletes the y in "Treasury". I have uninstalled and re-installed version 7.0. Anyone seen this before and have a solution? It gets to be a real problem when trying to edit text in the middle of a para, because the cursor placement becomes meaningless.

7 REPLIES 7

I've been using Arbortext for around 15 years and have not seen that before. I have an idea though - working from the assumption that you have a custom document type (doctype) installed for working with your XML files. If you load one of the XML samples included with Arbortext, such as Docbook or DITA doctype, does the problem manifest there? If the problem does not occur with the default (out of the box) doctypes then clearly the problem is related to your custom doctype.

azibuck
5-Regular Member
(To:GarethOakes)

Yes, The problem does manifest there as well. I should mention no one else I work with sees this issue.

Oh well that is interesting then! I assume you've tried re-installing Arbortext? If a fresh installation still has the issue then the problem may lie outside of Arbortext (e.g. in Windows). The other thing to try is a newer version of Arbortext (8.1 is the latest). You could also try PTC support but I would note your version is old and therefore out of the guaranteed support cycle (meaning, if the problem needs a patch you may not be able to get one).

azibuck
5-Regular Member

I have reinstalled, but like you say, it's an older version. Unfortunately I have to stay with that until we upgrade the whole company. Thanks for the feedback. At least this quirk isn't a showstopper.

azibuck
5-Regular Member

How about Windows? Do you have any guess what in Windows settings might be forcing this? I don't see it any other apps, just curious.

Jingjun.Long
4-Participant
(To:azibuck)

According to your description, it seems there is no space in your XML. Then, one possible is the editing stylesheet put a space there.

Can you please check the corresponding styler and see if there is space or tab put after para?

azibuck
5-Regular Member
(To:Jingjun.Long)

No. I'm the only one seeing this issue, but we (others in the company) are all pointing to the same FOSI.

Top Tags