cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Where to get "Burst Configuration File for DITA Technical Content "?

ptc-5110902
1-Newbie

Where to get "Burst Configuration File for DITA Technical Content "?

Hello there,

I was wondering where I can get the "burst configuration file".

I made a DITA data with Arbortext Editor and I chose DITA Technical Content as the category of the data.

However, when I tried to save the data with ACM, the links in the data became invalid.

I found out that I need the burst configuration file for DITA Technical Content to sort this problem out.

It would be great if anyone could suggest me where to get it.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SirkoRudolph
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5110902)

Hi,

please have a look in the folder where Arbortext Editor is installed (usually something like C:\Program Files\PTC\Arbortext Editor). There you will find a subfolder "adapters" and within there "com.ptc.prowt.arbortext\bursting". In the bursting folder are a bunch of files ending with ".bcf" (assuming you have Arbortext version 6).

These are the so called burst configuration files (sometimes also refered to as burstspec). For DITA technical content you will need atidefaults.bcf (which defines the global default settings), bookmap.bcf, ditabase.bcf. Depending on what content types you are using you might also need map.bcf, keybase.bcf and ditaval.bcf.

To have Arbortext use these burstspecs you need to upload them to ACM (to a library or folder where all Arbortext users can read from). Use Arbortext Editor, connect to ACM, open the burstspecs you want to upload (beginning with "atidefault.bcf") and use "File->Save as server object" to store it. Make sure you enter the exact name of the burstspec file as ACM name (without the .bcf). Alternately you could set a Windows environment variable named "APTOBJCFG" and enter the complete path to the "bursting" folder mentioned above. You need to set the Environment variable before you start Arbortext Editor. I would recommend you make a copy of the bursting folder somewhere and point APTOBJCFG to that copied folder. You can then start modifying the burstspec files to your needs without touching the originals shipped with Arbortext.

Please refer to the Arbortext Help Center (Administration->Arbortext Editor, Styler, and Architect->Content Management Guide) for further information about the various options you can configure in the burst configuration files.

I hope that gives you the necessary information to get your DITA content into ACM with all the links correctly converted.

Kind regards

Sirko

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SirkoRudolph
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5110902)

Hi,

please have a look in the folder where Arbortext Editor is installed (usually something like C:\Program Files\PTC\Arbortext Editor). There you will find a subfolder "adapters" and within there "com.ptc.prowt.arbortext\bursting". In the bursting folder are a bunch of files ending with ".bcf" (assuming you have Arbortext version 6).

These are the so called burst configuration files (sometimes also refered to as burstspec). For DITA technical content you will need atidefaults.bcf (which defines the global default settings), bookmap.bcf, ditabase.bcf. Depending on what content types you are using you might also need map.bcf, keybase.bcf and ditaval.bcf.

To have Arbortext use these burstspecs you need to upload them to ACM (to a library or folder where all Arbortext users can read from). Use Arbortext Editor, connect to ACM, open the burstspecs you want to upload (beginning with "atidefault.bcf") and use "File->Save as server object" to store it. Make sure you enter the exact name of the burstspec file as ACM name (without the .bcf). Alternately you could set a Windows environment variable named "APTOBJCFG" and enter the complete path to the "bursting" folder mentioned above. You need to set the Environment variable before you start Arbortext Editor. I would recommend you make a copy of the bursting folder somewhere and point APTOBJCFG to that copied folder. You can then start modifying the burstspec files to your needs without touching the originals shipped with Arbortext.

Please refer to the Arbortext Help Center (Administration->Arbortext Editor, Styler, and Architect->Content Management Guide) for further information about the various options you can configure in the burst configuration files.

I hope that gives you the necessary information to get your DITA content into ACM with all the links correctly converted.

Kind regards

Sirko

Mr. Rudolph,

Thank you very much for your quick answer. It is very much appreciated.

I successfully found the files by following your instruction.

And I think the links will be fine too.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Tomomi

Dear Mr. Rudolph,

May I ask you another question concerning your advice?

I uploaded the burst configuration files to ACM as adviced, then it started to load the burst setting.

Since then, whenever I try to upload ditamaps and dita files which were made on the local, the upload fails and a warning comes up saying "the file name is too long".

It seems that the file name is changed automatically to a name containing the pass, and that makes the file name too long.

Could you give me any help with this?

Kind regards,

Tomomi

Hi Tomomi,

The name of the document is set in the burstspec file. You should be able to modify the bcf file to supply a different name to Windchill.

Depending on how you are calling the bcf, you can modify the bcf on WC or modify the local bcf if you've set the Windows env. variable.

-Jeff

Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for your answer.

We will try that out as well.

Kind regards,

Tomomi

Top Tags