cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

new user, basic conref question, probably

LisaA
1-Newbie

new user, basic conref question, probably

Hi,

New user here, I have lots of questions, and I welcome pointers to existing resources.

I have Arbortext 6, Windhill 10, new to DITA and SMA.

I am working on test files, a basic SMA map with a few short topic types inserted.

If I want to refer to one model number in several of the mapped topics, what do I reference and how to reference it? I seem to be missing something.

I tried entering a value for the modelno in the SMA map; then, from a topic in the map, attempt to conref or xref to the modelno in the smamap, but the modelno does not show up in the Resource Manager as available to reference.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

Lisa A

1 REPLY 1

Hi Lisa,

I'm not entirely familiar with SMA, but have a lot of experience in DITA and I imagine they work similarly.

I dont think you'll be able to conref from content in a map to somewhere in a topic. If you want to store the model number somwhere to conref it, you'll need to store that number in a topic, then you can conref it into other topics.

You can either store the model number in a "collection" topic, which is a topic that just holds reusable information and is not reference by the map, only topics reference it through conrefs. Or you can store the model number in the first topic it's used in, then conref it to the other topics. It's all up to how you want to manage the information.

I hope this helps.

-Brett

Top Tags